How Do I Get An Answer?

plumber

Hi, with all these people looking it seems as though as many times as I post a questionthe response is limited to say the least. I dont want to sound like a cry baby but my questions are legitimate. Am I posting in the wrong section? I love this hobby would hate to leave due to lack of help when needed. I dont trust my lfs for the right answers Thanks John

meowzer

Originally Posted by Plumber
http:///forum/post/3038047
Hi, with all these people looking it seems as though as many times as I post a questionthe response is limited to say the least. I dont want to sound like a cry baby but my questions are legitimate. Am I posting in the wrong section? I love this hobby would hate to leave due to lack of help when needed. I dont trust my lfs for the right answers Thanks John
What's the question?

ophiura

Often this is due to:
Asking a common question that can be answered via a search (eg it is topic fatigue...a very common topic that people get tired of answering).
the question is not clear
there is not enough background information provided
there is not enough feedback from original poster on follow up questions
the poster asks the same question in several forums
the poster does not take advice
It can be all or none of these :)

plumber

Hi, I am having problems with overflows, I have a 150 gallon aga tank with dual overflows. I also have a aga mega flow sump sized for tank, Ihave a return pump sized at 1590 gph bproblem is sump sounds like waves crashing on the beach causing other problems. I really appreciate you taking time to help me out . Thanks John

plumber

Hi,I try to be as presice as I can describing problem however my lack of exp. may be hindering my communication with you. Kind of like me talking to you about advanced hydronic heating and trouble shooting

plumber

Also I do follow advice and am very thankful for all replies to my seemingly stupid questions we learn from those with knowledge superoir to are own
My many Thanks John

d-man

I can't help you but if it where me I would post in the diy section w/pics and how is the water going into your sump are you defusing it?

fishyfun2

Hi John,
My tank has only been up for 5 months so I'm not much help here. However, I recently installed an overflow/sump and had trouble with it being loud. Is your noise coming from the overflow (loud gurgling? I had this) or below where the water is coming down into the sump? Mine was both and I asked here about it. Got responses to try and google Durso standpipe, and Gurgle Buster. My overflow is too small for a standpipe, but we made some modifications in the output into the sump. I did end up building a gurgle buster for the overflow and it has helped quite a bit with the noise there. Hope you get some help by someone more wise about the subject than myself!!

Good luck in your search!

meowzer

Originally Posted by Plumber
http:///forum/post/3038074
Hi, I am having problems with overflows, I have a 150 gallon aga tank with dual overflows. I also have a aga mega flow sump sized for tank, Ihave a return pump sized at 1590 gph bproblem is sump sounds like waves crashing on the beach causing other problems. I really appreciate you taking time to help me out . Thanks John
Well Plumb...I am sorry but this I know nothing about....try the tips section, or the DIY section and pot it as "overflow questions" or something like that

plumber

Hi, I would like to THANK everyone who tried to help me. I will try to post in a different area, is there a way to just move this or do I have to start all over again? Thanks John

If you have a gurgle sound coming from the overflow caused by the vortex(whirlpool) of water being sucked down your discharge pipe you can modify it with the gurgle buster. http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson...struction.html
If it is sluicing in the sump from the discharge pipe you can put a tee on the end of the discharge that will help or you can drill some holes in a cap and put that on the end of your discharge. Discharge into a filter sock as well and that should also help reduce the wave of water you described.

al mc

Originally Posted by Alabama Reefer
http:///forum/post/3038369
If it is sluicing in the sump from the discharge pipe you can put a tee on the end of the discharge that will help or you can drill some holes in a cap and put that on the end of your discharge. Discharge into a filter sock as well and that should also help reduce the wave of water you described.
Either of these will work. I use the discharge pipe with a cap and holes method.

fishyfun2

The holes in the cap thing is similar to what we did. We drilled a series of holes in the last like 3 inches of the discharge pipe where it enters the sump. Seemed to help a lot. At least it doesn't sound like a toilet flushing now.

flower

hi:
It won't do any good to post elsewhere. You posed a hard question. Sometimes we just don't know. So we end up waiting for someone who does. That someone may not be on line for a while and your post gets buried.
Everyone on this site really likes to help, and or share our experience. Sometimes folks just get stumped. When someone who knows how to help gets on they usually just hit the new posts tab...So type in the reply area of your original post...bump, I still need an answer so my question...Your posted question can be up at the top again. Hopefully a person with the needed answer will then see it and help.
I use 2 canister filters for the very reason you are asking for help.

d-man

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3038443
hi:
It won't do any good to post elsewhere. You posed a hard question. Sometimes we just don't know. So we end up waiting for someone who does. That someone may not be on line for a while and your post gets buried.
Everyone on this site really likes to help, and or share our experience. Sometimes folks just get stumped. When someone who knows how to help gets on they usually just hit the new posts tab...So type in the reply area of your original post...bump, I still need an answer so my question...Your posted question can be up at the top again. Hopefully a person with the needed answer will then see it and help.
I use 2 canister filters for the very reason you are asking for help.
good thinking

ryancw01

hey Plumber...those over kits are only made fore 600gph each MAX. If your return is 1590 at 4 or 5 feet or whatever they are going to be noisy. You don't need to push a lot of water through your sump. Your water should turn over in your sump 3-5 times per hour. In other words, for a 150 gallon tank you would want it to pump at about 750gph at most. Powerheads in the tank or a wave maker will take care of the rest of the circulation. Overall, you want your tank to turn over at least 10-15 times per hour. So 2250gph on the higher end.

plumber

Hi, And thank you for all the responses I will try a smaller return pump and see where that leads. You would think with my background I should be able to figure out all the dynamics of said pump. Let me tinker a littke bit more I belive I can come up with a correct answer this is driving me insane.
Thanks to all John

plumber

Hi, So after some experimenting I changed the filter material it made less wave crashing sound. ???? I also thottled down return pump still the same. I dsont think the return pump is over driving system rio pump rated at 1590 @1 foot head has at least 4 foot head. Open to suggestions.
John