How Do I Go From 20 G To 40 G...???

roggy

MY 20 G SALTWATER TANK IS OBVIOUSLY TOO SMALL. I HAVE A 40 G AND THATS ALL I HAVE ROOM FOR. I NEED TO FIRST GET NEW SAND AND WATER AND LET IT CYCLE IN THE 40 G RIGHT? HOW ABOUT MY OLD LIVE ROCKS FROM MY 20 G. SHOULD I WAIT FOR THE 40 G TO CYCLE WITH OR W/O THE LIVE ROCK FROM THE 20 G. OR CAN I JUST THROW IN THE LIVE ROCK FROM THE 20 G INTO THE 40 G AT ANY TIME?
PLEASE HELP AND I DONT WANT TO GET A BIGGER TANK THANKS...

W

wildmike

I fyou can use some of your water from the 20g. I would put a few of the rocks in there to help it cycle. but thats just my 2 cents
mike
:p

iceburger

Try to get LS and if you can't get any try to use some of the sand out of your 20gal to seed the other sand (assuming you are using sand instead of CC) also i would do a water change on the 20 and use the water you take out and put it in the 40, yes its a good idea to put the LR in, it will help it cycle faster.....

jumpfrog

What animals do you have in your 20g right now? If very lightly stocked I see no reason why you couldn't add new sand to 40g add sand from your 20 and all of the water and rock, let them settle overnight and move livestock.
If the 20 is heavily stocked you'd want the 40 to be running with a completed cycle before you make the move.
Tell us more.