How do I seed sand?

sco999

I am starting a salt water tank in a 40H dimensions are 36"x12"x24". I want to use a live sand bottom using store bought sand like Old Castle, Yardright or Southdown. How would I go about turning this sand into live sand? Should I seed it? If so how would I do it? How much sand would I need?
Thanks

kdfrosty

I would spread your aragonite sand across the bottom of the tank to the desired depth, and then get some LS from an LFS or a friend....about 3 cups or so. Spread the LS across the top of the aragonite, and then do your aquascaping.
Most sand critters dig down in the sand, and will surface (or come close to surface) at night. This will cause the lil buggers to mix with the LS. LR will also turn aragonite sand in to LS over a long period of time.

sco999

What is a good depth of sand? How long will it take before I can stock it with fish and invert's?

puffer32

3 or 4 inches. You can get a clean up crew after your tank cycles, then add a hearty fish or 2 slowly.

jonny bolt

I used a 30# bag of Aragamax ($18), and seeded it with a 20# bag of Arag-Alive ($30). The fiji pink Arag-Alive mixes perfectly with the sugar sized Aragamax, and they are both made by the same company.
If your going to use that Southdown stuff or something similar, I would say get the 20# bag of fiji pink Arag-Alive and put it over it. It will look great and you'll get a good seed.

beef2

Sorry to butt in here but I had a question. Can you add more sand after you have everything in you tanks and even have fish in it. I have live rock also and it has cycled. I have one bubble tip and 3 fish. Would it hurt them if I added sand now because I don't have a deep enpugh sand bed, only about 1 1/2 inches. Thanks

jonny bolt

Yes you can do that. It can be real pain though. Best way to do it is to use a cup, and lower the cup down to the bottom and pour the sand. It'll still be dusty, but not as bad as pouring it in the top of the tank and letting it fall to the bottom lol.