How do I stop my husband from fish addiction?

dhe420

I have had it with my husband and his fish tank. He wakes up and stares at it, before he eats dinner he stares at it. When he walks in the door he goes right over to the fish tank and stares. All he does is have his hand in and on the fish tank, I am so sick of it, and I really can't take it anymore.
Please don't get me wrong, I think it is beautiful, but I am loosing my husband to fish.

jamos6

Well thats sad to hear. Even though I have 5 tanks I always have time for my gf. We have been together for almost 5 yrs and she was here be4 the fish and will be here after unless I have a fish to live to be 100. (lol)
I hope everything works out.

blueberryboomer

dhe420, I need to agree with JWT, my hubby (fixit) and I both love our tanks, try to learn everything you can about your hubbys fishy interest, I bet you will enjoy it and take great pride in it as he does. I spend more time with my hubby, with him pointing this out and that out, at least twice a day, I can be up to my elbows in dish water and he'll holler, "Honey, come here, you've got to see this". Its a wonderful hobby, and sharing with someone you love makes it that much more special. Lisa :D

aceiswild7

embrace that which you can not conquer ... u should give learning about the fish a shot and try to make him know your interested even going out and buying him a fish it would probably catch him off gaurd but im sure it would help you get into the circle which presently has him and only his tank... but by no means just go out and buy a fish you like post on this forum whatever you can about the tank he presently has.. types of fish or descriptions tank size and filtration etc etc.. anything you can so the forum members can help you make the best choice of a fish to get or even a coral if its a reef
good luck

twoods71

Here's the deal, every man needs at least 1 hobby. My wife does not understand my interest in fish but she accepts it. She understands I need a break from the daily grind and taking care of my fish help ease life's daily stress.
I dont think your loosing your husband to fish and if you accept and understand his hobby you will notice his appreciation towards you for it.

eric18

Have you tried telling him how you feel. Also ask him questiones about to show your interested (if you are)

fish fry

If you want to take an interest try picking out some fish you like. Or possible set up a tank of your own.
Worse comes to worse maybe you can convince if he's going to spend all his time with the tank he has to spend more money on you. Jewlery - the answer to most woman's problems.
Just don't tell my girlfriend I said that :D

skirk

The "420" will get a man to do that from time to time. Of course the "420" could have him doing a lot more to complain about then that. At least he's staying home. I say you both "420", stare at the tank with him after this, and as you're both being drawn into the tank bring up your feelings and then you may get your reassurance your looking for. But by far "420" is one of the best times to look at the tank. HTH hee-hee
If 420 is a thing here then he probably has an addictive personality like most men I know (myself included) which means the addiction could last as long as any other one. =)
[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: skirk ]

my wife to be, at first hated fish. but when i got her involved see now loves them and when i got her the hum hum she loves it so much maybe try to get involved in choosing fish and feeding them mine hates the smell of fish but she feeds the lionfish and the eel for when i,am at work :p

I agree with alot of the ppl here. My wife always hated how I would pull up a chair and sit watching my fish swim about and do their thing. Fortunately she opens her mouth alot when she doesn't like something, but it helps me understand she wants to be a part of this fascinating underwater world. So last week I took her to our lfs with me and made her pick out what she liked (another clown trigger and yellow tailed tang) believe it or not she was all excited to just put them in the tank. Now she watches and feeds and even does a water test or two.
Hence the answer to your question......tell your husband you want some fish of your own. (or you can scare him by telling him you might be pregnant, that always gets our attention!)

There are far worse things out there for a man to occupie (sp?) his time. My wife wasnt to pleased with the cost of things she at first thought okay we live near Lake Michigan so sand and water are freebies I guess I forgot to mention to her that L/R was $4.50 a pound and the L/s wasnt much cheaper :rolleyes: But once she saw how much my 2 oldest girls loved the tank and going to the Fish stores with "daddy" she is a lot more accepting of it. I admit that in the begining alot of time was spent with water readings 3x a day but now that its been up awhile its only water changes and cleaning. Its also the lowest maintenence
( as far as cleaning up after goes) pet's we've ever had. I hope in time accepting his hobby is easier for you. :)
[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: New2Saltwater ]