How do I?

drkphx

I want to get a mandarin. I've slowly been building up the amount of live rock in my tank and I going to add a sump/fuge this weekend. Once the tank is ready for him how do I quarantine him? Can I just put him in a quarantine tank? If I do How do I feed him and keep him alive until he's ready for my main tank?

razoreqx

Originally posted by DrkPhx
I want to get a mandarin. I've slowly been building up the amount of live rock in my tank and I going to add a sump/fuge this weekend. Once the tank is ready for him how do I quarantine him? Can I just put him in a quarantine tank? If I do How do I feed him and keep him alive until he's ready for my main tank?

He'll eat your pods if you have a good supply of them.. Mine also eats brine shrimp when i feed the rest of the population.. Your doing the right thing by adding a fuge and lots of live rock.. I think hes going to be very happy..
BTW.. I didnt quarantine mine so i cant answer that question.. He was very easy to acclimate to the tank. Oh and hes almost double in size in just a few months.. so i know hes not starving :)

cincyreefer

I wouldn't quarantine it... You will be runing a slight risk but mandarins do not commonly have parasites because of their slime coat. If you try to quarantine it, it might starve to death.