How do these LPS grow?

jpc763

I have a Favites Pentagonia and I am wondering how it grows. It seems to be encrusting the rock I glued it to, but does it actually grow out?

I also have this Acan that was fragged. How will it grow?

Just curious.

iyachtuxivm

They both will encrust or create their own skeleton. Imo the ones ive seen that have built their own base look fuller and happier. But they grow faster if they encrust.

jpc763

Thanks for the replies.
So when it encrusts the whole rock will it "expand" to grow?
Thanks, John

They'll keep growing. They grow onto near by rocks, plugs and even some coral. I try to keep it away from most of my corals they can and have eaten other corals.

jpc763

So the rock it is on is on the sand bed. If I want it to keep growing after it encrusts the rock, I need to put it near something else for it to encrust?
Thanks for the info BTW.

No, some will "encrust" on the sand/gravel on the bottom of your tank. Or you can put a plug or large object (stone, plug) under the coral and it will grow on that. The only problem with letting grow on your live rock is when and if you get tired of the coral its very hard to remove.

iyachtuxivm

Just leave it on the sand bed it will grow its own "base". It will grow slower if not given something to encrust which seems like its looks healthier to me. So own base = slower growth, healthier animal. bigger polyps.
encrusting= faster growth, smaller polyps, dosnt look as happy to me.
Just my oppinion not cold hard fact, just what ive seen