How do y'all feed frozen feeds?

chipmaker

Just talking to various folks, it seems there are many ways folks tend to feed frozen foods.
Some just break a piece of it off and toss in tank and as it melts the food stuff gets into the water column. Others chop it up in tiny bits and feed it like flake or pelleted feed. Some toss mutiple tiny peices in tank.
I prefer to keep the chunk of frozen food relatively large in size, and useing a forceps or long handled tongs, just insert chunk of food into tank and swish it around a bit and allow the food that gets loose from unfreezing drift into the water....
So how do you all feed frozen foods...

johnbob

I usually let the cubes thaw in a cup of my tank water and then I wait until its all broken up then I pour it into the tank.

mrdc

I drop a chunk in a glass then add vtiachem, garlic extreme and cyclopeeze powder. I let it sit for awhile so the additives can soak in. I then add some tank water to finish the defrost and I feed it to the fishies. I also suck some food into my squirter to feed the corals.

mrdc

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I hold it in my hand under the water in the tank and swish it around as it breaks up.

You work at the LFS?
That's how they do it here. No problem with that method

dogstar

Originally Posted by mrdc
You work at the LFS?
That's how they do it here. No problem with that method

:scared: LFS !! Thats insulting.

JK

mrdc

HEHEHE no insult intended since there are godd LFS stores out there ... somewhere?

lovethesea

IMO....yes. All of the stuff/chemicals that is in drinking water would not be good to soak into the food. Most don't use regular tap water in their tanks for the same reason. I just have a little rubbermaid plastic cup (about 2x2) that I only use for the food.

T

thomas712

Like most I will thaw it first in some tank water, then rinse it with RO water to help remove phosphates, and there is plenty of PO4 in frozen foods as a preservitive.
Even better is if you make your own Frozen food, then all you have to do is thaw and add to your tank.

imaburch

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Like most I will thaw it first in some tank water, then rinse it with RO water to help remove phosphates, and there is plenty of PO4 in frozen foods as a preservitive.
Even better is if you make your own Frozen food, then all you have to do is thaw and add to your tank.
What do you meanby "making your own"

lovethesea

I used to use a ton of stuff. I got to the point where I couldn't stomach making it anymore. My neighbor now does and I chip in the $$$. At the seafood counter you can get a handful of clams, shrimp,squid, scallops and in a DEDICATED :scared: food processor grind it all up until its mush. We also put some garlic in there too. At one time I found at the $1 store these ice trays that had tiny holes for tiny cubes. It finally broke and I never found another. You can just place the mush in a ziplock bag and lay flat in the freezer. The processor was about $15 at Kmart. There is a ton of other stuff you can put in there depending on the diet of your fish.

misfit

Me and my wife make our own food and we cut it up in squares about 1/2" x 1/2" and freeze it .then put 2 pieces in some ro/di water and let it thaw real quick and dump it in.

saltfan

This all sounds interesting to me, but how in the heck does the fish get to eat it all like mysis if its all in pieces???? before the intake gets to it or powerheads blow it all over the place??? I just toss the chunk in the tank (2) and the sweetlips lets it sit for about 30seconds, then he eats the darn thing as its breakin up. No leftovers, per say, just lil flecks blowing all over, that the hermits get, and the yellow tangs get a taste of. I thaw the frozen krill out, cause thats not in really really tiny bits....