How do you get the floaties off your sand?

lil.guppy

My power heads turn my tank water into a circular motion with my filter at the end. I noticed alot of dead spots where stuff likes to ocumulate on the sand.
Do you siphon these spots?
I took one of my power heads and changed its direction around the whole tank until all of it was gone and in my filter. Its a long process and there must be another way.

jackri

When I do water changes those are the areas I use the gravel vacuum on. Pulls up a bunch of crud that doesn't need to be in there but I don't vacuum all my substrate.

meowzer

Hey cute pic.....I have a gravel vac (for gravel..lol) I guess it doesn't suck the sand in?
Or do you have to be extra careful?

jackri

I hold my thumb over the end to decrease water flow... otherwise yeah you'll suck out sand really fast and you'll get some anyways but you can minimize it by using the thumb trick.
By the time I'm done I have a mouthful... wet arms, shirt, etc :)

meowzer

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2955118
I hold my thumb over the end to decrease water flow... otherwise yeah you'll suck out sand really fast and you'll get some anyways but you can minimize it by using the thumb trick.
By the time I'm done I have a mouthful... wet arms, shirt, etc :)
ICK...I have 2 kinds of cleaners...Mostly I use the one that attaches to the sink...the flow in controlled by the pressure of the water on your faucet so You can make is more or less...no using your mouth..ugh..