how do you get your ph to 8.2?

squidd

Originally posted by daltrey
if you just add the salt to a bucket of water would the ph read 8.2?

It depends a bit on the "starting" pH of your source water...
If your "source" water is 6.8, 6.9 you would "probably" get 7.9, 8.0 from the salt...
and a little higher if your source water is 7.2 etc...

daltrey

im using ro water from my sink and my saltwater ph is 7.9, i've added 2 oz. of kent marine pro buffer to my tank but a week later and the ph is still 7.9. does this mean unless i use different water i'm not going to be able to get a ph of 8.2?

cowfishrule

i was having trouble keeping my ph at 8.2 due to the fact that i did not have enough surface movement.
i lowered my water level slightly, and now i hold 8.2 with no buffers or anything..

devilboy

one thing too keep in mind with your pH reading is that your pH reading is also effected by a couple other chemistry readings in your tank.
pH, Alk, and calcium all work together. i found out the hard way let me explain.
my tank had a very low pH of 8.0, my calcium was very high (500+ppm) and my Alk(dKH) was very low. so this is what i decided to do. i bought ESV 2 part supplemt. one part is for alk and the other part is for your calcium.
the directions state to add both parts in equal doses. BUT, in my situation i am not able to do that, since my CA is high already. just add the suggested amount of your alk part. testing pH, Alk, and Ca, until your pH and Alk readings are optimal, 8.2 and 8 - 12 dKH. when this rises your CA should drop down to 420ish. now you are in balance and you may add both parts in equal parts. but still keep testing.
HTH

daltrey

I'll have to get some test kits for my calcium and alk. thanks for the advice.
i added an airstone to the tank and my ph went above 8.4 so i took that out. then i moved my powerheads to the top of the tank and pointed them up so that the water surface is rippling alot. now my ph reads 8.0, what does this mean? i have two maxi-jet 1200 and a hang on power filter. is this not enough for good circulation for a 55 gallon. thanks

mudplayerx

Like everyone said, water movement and surface agitation work marvels to raise your ph. The reason is that all pathways such as the nitrogen cycle and the strickland cycle (breaking down of protein) produce carbon dioxide. When carbon dioxide is exposed to water, it produces carbonic acid. All acids lower ph.
I HIGHLY recommend that you perform this simple test before investing money into anything to raise your ph:
Get a bucket and fill it will 1/2 gallon of water from your tank. Put an airstone in the bucket (two or three if you have them). Let the bucket aerate for 24 hours. After the 24 hours test the ph of the bucket and the ph of your tank.
If the ph in the tank is lower than 0.2 than the ph of the bucket, you need more water movement and surface agitation in your tank. For instance, if the bucket reads 8.1 and your tank reads 7.9 or lower, you need more water movement.
If this isn't the case, make sure you are using aragonite sand (two and a half inches throughout the tank). Aragonite sand is a great buffer. Calcium supplement is also a buffer, but requires a test kit (as do ALL supplements).
Hope this helps.