How do you guys maintain a clean sandbed?

yellowg555

I recently setup a 140G tank with a 4" DSB and 100 pounds of live rock. I want to go the aggressive route, but am worried about having no cleanup crew since those fish will eat them for lunch. How do you guys cope with this problem, or if you have found a solution, would you mind sharing? :D

grouperhead

What kind of aggressives are you planning on having? In certain tanks, hermit crabs and serpent stars do very well, as do sand-sifting cukes. If you want triggers, puffers, and wrasses though, you won't be able to keep any motile inverts. Are you worried about algea on the sandbed? I never have that problem unless it is time for my lights to be changed. Are you using your dsb for biological filtration, or looks? If you aren't using it for the biological factor, you can periodically stir it with your hands. Bo

yellowg555

I was planning on something like a bluejaw trigger, porc puffer, regal tang, purple tang initially. The bluejaw and porc are relatively peaceful from what I've read. About algae problems, I think the tangs will enjoy an excess abundance of algae if it gets to that point right? I am planning on using the DSB for biological filtration. So I can keep hermit crabs and serpent stars with these aggressive fish? What if I add an eel later?

jumpfrog

The puffer may be your only problem with hermits and crabs. Note that if you get an eel, it will probably move around some of your sand which could affect your filtration efficiency. Certainly if you get any big wrasse it will cause DSB problems. It may be best with predators to not rely on DSB for biological and go with a good sump/bio ball setup.
Good Luck in your selections.

yellowg555

Wouldn't the main purpose of the DSB be to harbor both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria? I am not relying solely on the DSB for filtration as I am running 2 Magnum 350's as well.
If I keep the puffer well fed, will hermits be relatively safe? Can puffers and triggers break through the hermits' shell?

jumpfrog

I watched my trigger literally "suck" hermits right out of their shell. It was a sad sight as I had just added the hermits.
You're right about a DSB helping the nitrogen cycle by providing a place for anaerobic bacteria to grow and convert nitrates into nitrogen gas. The problem arises when the bed is disturbed, even a little, as oxygen rich water kills the anaerobic bacteria. Your external filter will of course provide plenty of room for aerobic bacteria to do their thing and keep amonia and nitrite under control.
I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't count on too much help from your DSB if you have animals which will "play" in the sand.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide.