How do you keep Coral line off the glass?

cam78

I want to upgrade to a larger tank soon and want to keep the glass clean and clear. How do you do this with all the LR around. You just scrape all the time?

nigerbang

easyscraper used with a magfloat aquabuys have them...its a local atlanta company...they ship sometime look it up and talk to Sam, tell them the ARC sent ya

big

Yes we scrape most everday....One of the true druges of the hobby

Kent makes this, get both a short one like this for more "grunt" and a longer handle one for harder to reach spots. If sure beats using a razor blade. They cost lest than 10 bucks at better shops and there are re-fill blades packs too. But the initial blade will last a very long time.........Glass only not for Aclyic.........And The "Mag-Float" is used every day too.

stanlalee

I use the kent scraper as well. excellent and the blades are sold seperately if you already have the handle. the best way is to clean the class frequently so it cant take hold, including the back wall. I have it on my pumps and overflow box but none on my glass.

snakeblitz33

Just don't dose as much calcium as you usually do. Then scrape what is left.
You can also update your lights and get 250watt 20k metal halides and that will slow coralline algae growth pretty good.

notsonoob

big;2844802 said:
Yes we scrape most everday....One of the true druges of the hobby

Kent makes this, get both a short one like this for more "grunt" and a longer handle one for harder to reach spots. If sure beats using a razor blade. They cost lest than 10 bucks at better shops and there are re-fill blades packs too. But the initial blade will last a very long time.........Glass only not for Aclyic.........And The "Mag-Float" is used every day too.
QUOTE]
They do make plastic versions for acrylic tanks. I bought one by mistake.
This one does take if off fairly effectively. I usually can scrape two tanks clean in about 20 minutes.

sepulatian

You only have to scrape the front. Some scrape the sides too if it doesn't look good there. A mag float once a week will clean the front with no trouble. Coraline is easy to clear if it just started.

t316

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2849713
Every other day? You must have better lights than I do

Yeah, seriously. I can let it go 4 or 5 days, but then the white, easy stuff starts turning into green (which requires a lot more elbow grease to scrub off). I keep a Mag on both sides of the tank and find it easier to make it a habit to do it daily, or every other day.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2849722
Yeah, seriously. I can let it go 4 or 5 days, but then the white, easy stuff starts turning into green (which requires a lot more elbow grease to scrub off). I keep a Mag on both sides of the tank and find it easier to make it a habit to do it daily, or every other day.
Nice! It is always better to find a way to make tank maintenance easier.