How do you keep the sand off....

jsb

How do you guys keep the sand off your LR. I put sand in my tank a week ago, and it coats everything. I bascially end up scrubbing everything free of sand, and either it settles back on the LR or the fish stir it up, and basically create drifts against the LR. I'm going to be adding a small amount of live sand here shortly. Probably 5 lbs or so. Do you recommend pulling all my LR. I didn't with the 20 lbs of sand I put in before. I ended up letting it settle and scrubing everything. I'm thinking of pulling all the LR and letting all the sand settle and then put all my LR back in. What do you think? Thanks

T

thomas712

First you will have to wait for the sand to collect some bacteria which will allow it to settle to the bottom better.
Second I use a clean for-tank-only turkey baster to keep the rocks clean of sand, fish and snail waste,..etc..
leave it all in and just wait it out.
Thomas

nacl-man

The baster works really well for me.. also if you have a really big problem area buy a lower power PH and point it at the rock so it won't allow the sand to collect there.
My clarkii is a friggin engineer and digs all the time... sand EVERYWHERE.
HTH.

jsb

Originally posted by NaCL-Man
The baster works really well for me.. also if you have a really big problem area buy a lower power PH and point it at the rock so it won't allow the sand to collect there.
My clarkii is a friggin engineer and digs all the time... sand EVERYWHERE.
HTH.

Cool Thanks!

texag04

I used some of that Kent Pro Clear stuff and I never have problems with sand anymore. I stir that stuff up all the time and it always settles right away.

jsb

Originally posted by TexAg04
I used some of that Kent Pro Clear stuff and I never have problems with sand anymore. I stir that stuff up all the time and it always settles right away.

Good to know, because I was lookinga t that stuff the other day and wondered if it worked very well.

T

thomas712

Well for me its unsightly. Then the snails and crabs would have to work harder to get at all those nooks and crannys where algea can grow, then also the coralline might not grow on the sand as well. Sometimes what might look like sand is really decaying matter that needs to be blown off so the water can circulate it into the water colum to be removed by mechanical means like the protien skimmer or to settle on the sand bed for processing.
Just my thoughts on it.

dreeves

My triggers have and constantly are stirring my sand up...they are real pigs when it comes to tank cleasiness...evidently products of poor upbringing...

nacl-man

Originally posted by dreeves
My triggers have and constantly are stirring my sand up...they are real pigs when it comes to tank cleasiness...evidently products of poor upbringing...

aye.
My clarkii must have been raised on a pig farm.