How do you keep your sand white

My reef tank is 7 months old. I noticed that the sand is turning from white to dirty white. What do you think is the problem.? I've been seeing your photos online and your sand looks great and pearly white. What should I do?

smoney

Umm... I have lots of sand sifting things. Sand sifting starfish do the job, they eat lots of the bottom detrius things as well as a brisstle star, I also have snails, and like 15 hermits(zebra, redlegged, and a bluelegged), and I believe I still have some sand crabs that i got from the beach(I never see them so I dont know).

schadiest1

you can also stir it up by hand. clean up crews do a good job of cleaning the sand bed. before you go and buy a sand sifting star, do some research, they need a larger tank to avoid starvation.

sw-newbe

Originally Posted by keonia
Diamond GOby!!
I second the Diamond Goby. Mine did a great job until he decided to go Carpet Surfing. He was my favorite fish. Tons of personality, would come right up to the glass. I plan on replacing him in about 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
I'd recommend a Conch and Nassarius Snails.
Thats what i have, and they do wonders!!
Originally Posted by Schadiest1

you can also stir it up by hand.
I would not do that. You dont want to disturb the sand, as you will release the toxins and such stored in there. You would only want to stir MAYBE the top little bit.

agoutihead

yeah diamond gobys are the way to go... they will sift the entire sand bed all day long... sand will always be white...
people say snails and conchs... and i do have them...
but a snail or conch can not sift sand like a goby and actually keep the sand white.... they just cant move fast enough or sift it quick enough for me...
like i said i have them... every little bit helps....
but go with a diamond goby... very friendly and a great worker!

bgriff

I was having the same problem until I got my Diamond.. Seen here outside his hole.. Be warned, they do a lot of digging and shifting of sand. Every so often you may need to use a baster (or power head) and blow off the rocks. However, the enjoyment of watching him work is well worth it. (Shortly before lights out, he will cover his hole and dive into the mount to settle in for the night, pretty cool to watch!!)

mavgi

I would not do that. You dont want to disturb the sand, as you will release the toxins and such stored in there. You would only want to stir MAYBE the top little bit.
me-n-my-fish right you will get problem with high nitrate to.

crzyfshygy

I had a Yellowhead Sleeper Goby and he was a beautifull fish and would sand dig all day and make the sand real white. The problem was he would take the sand into his mouth and swim up about 6-12inches and spread sand all over my corals which could suffocate them
Every day i had to blow off the sand in my clam as well. Which intern bothers them alittle. I spent way to Much money on corals for that. He did clean real well though.

oceana

Originally Posted by crzyfshygy
I had a Yellowhead Sleeper Goby and he was a beautifull fish and would sand dig all day and make the sand real white. The problem was he would take the sand into his mouth and swim up about 6-12inches and spread sand all over my corals which could suffocate them
Every day i had to blow off the sand in my clam as well. Which intern bothers them alittle. I spent way to Much money on corals for that. He did clean real well though.

thats the same reason i dont have a sifter. i have WAY to many corals for that. like said above they will clean the sand but at a price that is just to high for my taste

bwilson

How did you get Rid of the sleeper? I have two of them and want them out bad! There is no option to net them because they dont take food from the feeder stick and they are very shy when you are in the tank. I think I will try a trap any other ideas?
BW

fishieness

i have a diamond goby in my 29 gallon fowlr and he is awsome. as far as a reef, you shouldnt accumulate too much junk down there as long as you have some flow (yet not enough to stir up the sand). most things that will sift the sand also eat all the creatures that dwell in there.

hagfish

I must say that I don't think a person sifting the sand just a little is any different than a goby sifting it a little as far as toxins being released. It's not like the goby is actually trying not to release bad chemicals. And some gobies dig much deeper than a human would if just trying to get the junk off the top. Engineer goby is a good example. I have one that digs holes 2, 3, maybe 4 inches deep.

agoutihead

and heres the thing... a diamond goby is sifting so much sand... at least in a 55 gallon... that harmful chemicals really never have a time to build up in the sand to where it would spike anything.... i mean they really turn the sand over several times a day pretty much the whole tank.

pohtr

Do you think a diamond goby would sift enough sand to keep it halfway flat when you have a clarki who likes to make mountains with his tail?
Could be a perfect pair! And keep the sand white too!

mudplayerx

My vote goes to detrivore (sand-sifting) sea cucumber for the win. Nothing beats these guys in keeping the sand white.