How do you know to change calcium reactor media?

matt2364

Hello - I just set up a secondhand calcium reactor that I bought off of a fellow reefer. I have had it running for over a day, the effluent coming out is 6.5PH, so the media should be dissolving. I have, however, not seen any increase in calcium or alkalinity. I am not sure if I have something set up wrong or if the media is just used up. Is there anyway to tell?
I have a lifereef LCR1.

paxrom

it takes awhile (1 week or so) for the alkalinity to go up , calcium follows, in my experience.
you can do alkalinity and calcium test on the effluent to test if the reactor is working

matt2364

I am not sure how old the media is, I bought the reactor used and there was already media in it.
Thanks paxrom, I did not know that it took that long to take effect. I measured the effluent for alkalinity and it was off the charts, so it must be working properly. What would you recommend for a bubble rate and effluent drip rate for a 55 gallon tank. I do not have very demanding corals at this point, not even a single SPS. I was waiting to get the reactor set up and working efficiently before I made the jump into SPS.

wattsupdoc

I'm running mine at 38 BPM, and 40 ml/m.. That's a good place to start. Just remember, that increasing Co2 increases PH, increasing flow through decreases it. You'll need to tweak it to your tanks needs. Check it every couple days or so and adjust accordingly.
As Hurt pointed out I'm Bass ackwards here.

hurt

You test your effluent for Alk to determine when to change your media. I believe saturated saltwater will hold 32 ALK dKH. So if you test effluent and your dKH is in the teens or low 20's it's time to change your media. I typically change mine about every 5 months.

hurt

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2861915
Just remember, that increasing Co2 increases PH, increasing flow through decreases it.
I think you mean this backwards, right? Increasing CO2 lowers pH(with the same amount of flow), while increasing flow with the same amount of CO2 raises
pH.

matt2364

How big is your tank wattsupdoc? Just want a reference for size and bubble count/effluent rate. Thanks.

trippkid

Originally Posted by Hurt
http:///forum/post/2862528
I think you mean this backwards, right? Increasing CO2 lowers pH(with the same amount of flow), while increasing flow with the same amount of CO2 raises
pH.
That is what I was going to say, increasing the CO2 will decrease the Ph but increase the Alk and CA for a given flow rate from the effluent. Reducing will CO2 will slow the breakdown, resulting in less CA and Alk in the effluent. Can also do this with the drip rate (with a given CO2 amt.), faster flow out of the effluent=less contact time, meaning higher Ph, lower CA and Alk, slower flow out of the effluent= more contact time, meaning lower Ph, and higher CA and Alk coming from the effluent. That is my understanding of the process.
Matt

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by Hurt
http:///forum/post/2862528
pH.

Oh yeah, MY BAD!
I knew what I meant I just didn't type what I meant. LOL.
My tank is a 135. But water volume alone is not all that is involved in determining your drip rate/flow. In fact I am still running a tad high set where it's at. I shut mine down once a month for a weekend to let it correct itself. Eventually my tank will grow into this and it's not an issue to shut it down like that.