how do you move a clam

geoj

If you can see under the clam you may make out the visible threads that need to be cut. The prob is to cut them with out moving the clam or you may rip the clam apart and it would die. If the rock can be moved then remove the rock and tilt it so the clam is on a incline then just wait for the clam to break its self free.

242bats

yes i can see under the clam, i can pick the clam up about an 1' and see the (foot) that is holding it in place, can i just cut the (foot) as close to the rock as i can and then move it

geoj

No, you need to see the threads that come off the bottom. There is no foot, the white part you see is the large byssal muscle. You must avoid damaging the byssal muscle. Only cut the threads...

242bats

no not much of any thing, maybe just about 1/16" or 1/8" of what i think are what you are calling (threads), it is now in a new spot and already opened back up

gemmy

Ummm....is it just me or is that a derasa clam? Derasa's only loosely attach to substrates and should really be kept on sand.

242bats

yes i think you are right it is a derasa, and i did not pull very hard on it to make it move. but did not know if what was there was going to be a big dill to move.
as for being kept in the sand, what would make it like sand more than rock, just asking, i was told that if i had sand to put it in the rock, if i did not have sand to set it on the glass

thanks for the help

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242bats http:///t/387574/how-do-you-move-a-clam#post_3411312
yes i think you are right it is a derasa, and i did not pull very hard on it to make it move. but did not know if what was there was going to be a big dill to move.
as for being kept in the sand, what would make it like sand more than rock, just asking, i was told that if i had sand to put it in the rock, if i did not have sand to set it on the glass

thanks for the help
Derasas don't really anchor and for this reason they should be kept on the sand. They can get knocked around by fish and other critters if they are in the rockwork.

florida joe

A trick I use and method which works quite well is to simply get a large shell (something like an oyster shell.) put some CC in the shell and place the clam on the CC. it will attach itself to the CC in the shell. When you have to move the clam you just move the shell along with the clam and all is well.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/387574/how-do-you-move-a-clam#post_3411648
A trick I use and method which works quite well is to simply get a large shell (something like an oyster shell.) put some CC in the shell and place the clam on the CC. it will attach itself to the CC in the shell. When you have to move the clam you just move the shell along with the clam and all is well.
you'll have to excuse the smell here, I just hada brain fart........ whats CC?