How do you really set up a hospital tank?

goldfish

I have an extra 20 gallon tank that I would like to use as a qt. I know that all I need is a tank, powerhead and some places for the fish to hide (thanks Beth!) But, my question is..do I have to cycle that tank or can I use water from my existing tank? Can it just "sit" around waiting for a patient, or is it something that needs to be set up "on the spot" so to speak. I have no use for one at this time (thank goodness), but I was curious how to get it going. Thanks!!

pufferlover

I prefer to set up my HT tank when needed (and hope I don't have to-wishful thinking) I do use water at least half from the existing tank and half newly mixed to same salinity and temp. Use of the other tank water to me causes less stress to the moving of the fish and since I am going to treat it anyway the use of the aged water allows for some consistency for the sick fish. Now this is what I do but I am interested in seeing what others think is the best way to go.

goldfish

Puffer, Adding freshwater with the same salinity to the existing saltwater from your tank is ok? This whole ht thing confuses me. I am used to just treating the whole tank for whatever ailments are in my water. I talk to a lfs guy (who is very knowledgable) and he prefers to treat the whole tank since diseases spread so rapidly. I do see the benefits of a ht, so any information any other people have will help! Thanks again puffer for your ideas!

goldfish

The only times I've had to treat the whole tank is when my yellow tang got black spot disease. At the time I had a Naso in there as well so I treated the whole tank. I just assumed Naso would get it too...Another time (I can't remember who was sick) I used Maracyn for someone's disease. Everything turned out fine and they are still with me! Thanks for the information--it really does help!