How do you set up a sump?

rbaldino

They're pretty easy to set up, even easier if you buy a tank with that purporse in mind. If you don't yet have a tank, buy a reef-ready one that has some sort of corner overflow and bulkhead fittings in the bottom. Then you'll need a cabinet with a hole drilled in the top for the plumbing for the tank to go through. As for the sump itself, any smaller tank will do. As for size, that really depends on how big the display tank is and how much room you have in the cabinet. Then all you need is a pump and plumbing of some sort.
Water from the main tank goes into the overflow, then through the fitting at the bottom. A tube carries water from the fitting and dumps it into the sump. The pump then sends water back up through another tube, through the bulkhead at the bottom, and back into the main tank. It makes more sense when you see all the parts, and it's actually pretty easy to set up.
If you already have a tank and want to add a sump, you'll need some sort of hang on overflow box. After that, the setup is pretty much the same.
The biggest advantage to using a sump is that you can hide all your equipment down in the cabinet, like your heater and skimmer, which also allows you to place the tank much closer to a wall. A sump is also a really good place to set up a refugium, and it increases your total water volume. If you go to your LFS and tell them you want to set up a reef-ready tank with a sump, they should be able to help you figure out everything you need.

reefchick15

thanks bunches. i'm actually looking for a sump pakage thing on the internet right now. I am shopping around and have done lots of research in the past hour.

thanks again

daninct

Search this forum and others and you will see many designs and instructions on how to do this. I am doing a fuge now that I hope to have ready in another week (part time effort in the build). Pay close attention to the parts of the threads on preventing a flood. Done correctly there should be no issues.

fgcu14

It will probably be ALOT cheaper to DIY a sump than going out and buying one. I wish I would have built mine. It looks easy enough and I would have saved well over 100 bucks.

brandan

I have a 20g DT (display tank) and I built a 10g sump that goes on the bottom of the stand that I built for it also. I got a 10g tank from a girl at work, but you can pick one up at the LFS for $10. I just got glass from the hardware store and then had them cut it to the sizes that I needed, and then used silicone to joint it all. I put my skimmer and my heater down in the sump so the only thing you see in the DT is one small powerhead. Also, I built in a fuge in my sump as well.

dpurkey

Ok Guys & Gals,
I keep seeing these posts on the sump/fuge combo's. I'm a little dense I need measurements and photo's. I would like to use a 20L or a 29, so, from right to left ... please tell me or better yet show and tell dimensions (ie) distance in from end, #of baffles, height, spacing, center section on so on. If you can do this, ou will forever have my gratitude. Thanks in advance.

chuckcac

Originally Posted by DPurkey
Ok Guys & Gals,
I keep seeing these posts on the sump/fuge combo's. I'm a little dense I need measurements and photo's. I would like to use a 20L or a 29, so, from right to left ... please tell me or better yet show and tell dimensions (ie) distance in from end, #of baffles, height, spacing, center section on so on. If you can do this, ou will forever have my gratitude. Thanks in advance.

couple of questions in order to help you out...
which one 20L or 29?
what are the dimensions of the tank you choose?
skimmer in sump?
what type of skimmer (to determine footprint needed & operating depth)
how much gph overflow? (to determine the return pump size & therefore the required footprint)
which type of layout
(i recommend) fuge > return < skimmer -or do you want...
fuge > skimmer > return -or-
skimmer > fuge > return..?
that should do it for now... :thinking:
here's the plans of the one i designed (with help)
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/248643/i-heard-squidd-is-the-man
and here is the construction of it all to date
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/256787/chucks-diy-journal

saltn00b

also take a look at my upgrade thread thats floating around this DiY forum. i built my own Sump / Fuge that cost 1/2 the price and was twice the size of one i almost bought. it was also an invaluable learning experience. i shared my knowledge with everyone and pictures, so hopefully it helps you out.
one thing that you are going to want to figure out first, is if your return pump will be submersible or In-Line. my thread (first post) discusses some reasons that i chose In-line (in that case talking about a CLS, but the reasons still hold).

chuckcac

me too... mine was SO MUCH cheaper than buying it... so far to build the sump/fuge it only cost me;
$20 for the glue/cement
$25 for the pvc, connectors, valves & glue
(i had the acryilic already - so that was pretty much free) but its not that expensive at a 'home goods' or hardware store
i didnt have enough 'real estate' under my tank to do an in-line pump though... but i would have if i could have.
BTW - i also used the info on saltn00b's thread to base the design of mine... it was a huge help!!!

saltn00b

:)
a 4' x 8' sheet of 1/2 "acrylic plus glue and syring cost me $130, and i have a good amount of acrylic left over for side jobs, etc.