how do you tell

mandarin w

I'm thinking of purchasing a 150 gal tank, 48x24x30. I want to get this tank drilled so I can use a sump and refuge system under the tank. But while inquireing about where to get this done. I keep getting that aquariums are tempered glass, and cannot be drilled. But I know I see it done all the time on these DIY sites. Then I told the bottoms are tempered glass, the sides aren't. Which is ok, I plan on getting 3 holes in the back. My question is, "Is there a way to tell if a tank is tempered glass before you purchase it? No since buying it if I can't drill it. Is there a mark, or is glass different color tint? :notsure:

squidd

No since buying it if I can't drill it.
If you haven't purchased the tank yet, then just buy a predrillled one.. You may have to "special order" but it will be done professionally and by the mfg. so warranty stays intact...
Or check with Mfg to confirm non tempered sides...before buying, if you choose the DIY route...

acrylic51

I do agree with Squidd....If you want a RR tank why not just order it that way will save yourself time and headache, but if you really want that tank and a good deal check with manufacturer if it's tempered or not in the bottom and if it is you'll have to drill the back or side to run to sump.
You might run into a hard time finding someone to drill the tank depending where your at as well, and they almost never guarantee or warranty that if they drill the tank and it breaks they'll replace it, so that is another thing to look at.......Drilling your tanks yourself isn't that bad and can be done with patience and times!!!!!