how dumb can you get

sweetdawn

ok so how dumb can you get I did this yesterday
half of my tank was dark so i took the bulb out and got out a bulb I had in the closet that I hate it makes my tank look green. I bought a pair of them for my fifty five gallon tank and one was burnt out and I couldnt find the receipt to return it so i took it off and put it in the closet and put the regular flourecent lights back in. anyway so i put in the hated bulb and it didnt work :notsure: so i look over and the light came unplugged. so i tell my 15 year old to get the light out of the trash that i just had him throw away. he looks at me and says you said to throw it away. I know but its was unplugged get it out of the trash and ill put it back in. He says but i took it out to the dumpster and broke it Hey you would have done the same thing if you were my age.
So now my tank is half pink tinted and half green tinted. bad day yesterday
On a happier note today rocks
I won

T

thomas712

Ah lifes little moments.....priceless
make you want to laugh and cry at the same time....

hedonic

breaking those flourescent tubes rocks. It is the first thing I do when a bulb burns out on my freshwater tank.

T

thomas712

Actually I always keep the old ones until the new ones arrive, that way I always have one to complet a circut if something goes wrong.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I always keep the old ones until I am absolutely sure that the new ones are all working 100%. Otherwise, the ballast won't fire with one missing...which could be a real problem in a reef tank.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by sweetdawn
ok so how dumb can you get I did this yesterday
half of my tank was dark so i took the bulb out and got out a bulb I had in the closet that I hate it makes my tank look green. I bought a pair of them for my fifty five gallon tank and one was burnt out and I couldnt find the receipt to return it so i took it off and put it in the closet and put the regular flourecent lights back in. anyway so i put in the hated bulb and it didnt work :notsure: so i look over and the light came unplugged. so i tell my 15 year old to get the light out of the trash that i just had him throw away. he looks at me and says you said to throw it away. I know but its was unplugged get it out of the trash and ill put it back in. He says but i took it out to the dumpster and broke it Hey you would have done the same thing if you were my age.
So now my tank is half pink tinted and half green tinted. bad day yesterday
On a happier note today rocks
I won
What did you win? out of curiosity.... :thinking:

dr. evil

sorry you lost a good lamp but that is funny if i was that age i would've done the same thing heck i would do it now what am i saying

treybomb

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
What did you win? out of curiosity.... :thinking:
she won the photo contest!
congrats

pitbull01

Originally Posted by Farmboy
I know that was a rhetorical question but I can get PRETTY dumb!!

Congrats on the contest!

are u the one who burnt himself on a halide? lol...quite the experience. When my old LFS was around, I volunteered there and was cleaning the 240 gallon show tank and something scared the **** out of me(still dont know what it was) and I jerked my hand up out of the water and smacked it right on the light...OOOUUCCHH!!!! Had to go to the E.R.

sweetdawn

ty they obviously didnt go on clarity of picture my camera isnt the greatest. so come on someone else tell me what dumb things they have done so i dont feel like a total ditz

scotts

I have told this before. Had my 5 year old daughter helping me do a water change. To begin with she is afraid of her own shadow. So she helps me put the water in and I plug everything back in. "What's that smell?" That would be the carpet melting because the heater is on the carpet. So of course being the swift thinker I am I knew I had to cool down the heater, in the tank is the first and obvious choice. So when the heater shattered literally right in front of my daughters face I had a hysterical child in one hand and a live electrical circuit held over water in the other hand. I have learned since then.
Scott

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by sweetdawn
that must have been scary
I felt the same way....it's kinda funny in a way though, not at that moment of course not. Glad everyone made it okay though.

pitbull01

Originally Posted by hot883
Congrats on your win. Very nice entry!

lol...such an honor to win the dumbist moron award!

scotts

Yeah you could say I learnt my lesson. Of course we had the melt mark in the carpet to remind us of that fun. Everything turned out OK but there was that feeling of "Uh OH" for a second there, then the thought of, what do I do now?