how essential is a protien skimmer for a 55 gal. new reef setup?

nm reef

For a skimmer...you get what you pay for...I've used a CPR bacpac2r on my 55(been skimmerless now for 4 months) cost was around $129...
Plants...if you mean macro algaes(calupera etc) then I'd say that it may be best to keep them in a refugium type set-up(seperate from the display) some of them can grow rapidly and may be a problem in the display itself. Personally I keep caluperas in my refugium....and they are under lighting 24/7...great source of nutrient export and a source of food for my fish only tanks....plus I've been able to return some to my trusted LFS for purchase credit....they like to get it for resale......*_^

dirtybilge

For a 55G reef you need a good skimmer you could use a prizm or a backpak, don't waste your money on a airstone skimmer, your tank is to big, the skimmer is the most important pice of water purification on a reef tank!

I use the Prizm on my 65 ...works great for up to that size. I would consider getting one for our 55. I also have approx. 90lbs live rock and a descent mechanical filtration system.

jakob4001

shop around for at least a hang on skimmer; air stone one are high maintance at best; less bang for the $$$ too; we use sea clone on 135; cpurse depends on what type of set up; FOWLR, FO, REEF...bioload & filtration...

volitan

I completely disagree. Skimmers are extremely overrated IMO for tanks 75 gallon and under. If you purchase 1 to 1.5 lbs of lr per gallon, have decent water movement, and an adequate cleanup crew, you will not need a skimmer. Toobs, do yourself a favor and put your money into something worthwhile. Forget the skimmer!

fshhub

i have no skimmer, and am doing quite well, but i think they are great tools
however, i agree with volitan too, lr a dsb and good circulation is very effective too
i use 110 lbs of lr and a dsb with lots of circulation in my 75, and nitrates are undr 5

dinhouse

DBURR Do you happen to have the plans or a picture of your DIY overflow box. I am on a budget but I want to make a small refuigium/sump out of a 10 gallon I have laying around. this would be much appreciated.
"BUDDAH73@AOL.COM"

dburr

No I'm sorry I don't. I wish I had a website and a digital camera to take pictures of my tank and diy's.
I can tell you I made it out of 3/4 PVC and it was pretty simple.
Just a bunch of elbows and straight pipe. It's runs about 400/500 gph.
I gotta go out tonight but I will draw a picture and shoot it out to ya this weekend.

marek

IMO, a skimmer is important for ANY mini-reef tank... it must be good for it pulls out much smelly and dirty crap, so it does clean the water somewhat right? i would never run a system without one :)

I had my 44 gallon reef set up running perfectly for 3 months without it, but I have since moved it into a 60 gallon tank, and added a skimmer. It is amazing the crap that it pulls out of the water. I would not do another tank without one.