How hard is it to have a tank drilled?

markw

Well, as the title says..
Is there any way to get a tank drilled that isnt already drilled? Im having a little trouble finding a tank that is drilled and of my size liking within my price range (theyre usually fully set up and established and selling for around $6000 on CL.). Theres tons of tanks on there for astoundingly low prices, as im sure some of you know, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy one of these non-drilled tanks and just have it drilled, or wait for the right tank to turn up? (Ive been talking with a man about a drilled 75 for about 3 weeks now and for some reason or another, he keeps putting off selling it. He says theres something wrong with the filter he is using on his 125g upgrade.) So anyway, I do have a Rena Xp4 canister filter I could run, but I really like the idea of a sump with refugium and protein skimmer instead, so Id really like a drilled tank.
Any thoughts? Where to look, how much its going to cost (ballpark)?
I also dont know whether or not a tank is tempered, so this poses another particularly worrying problem, one Im sure there is no answer to unless the tank is already drilled..
Mark

J

jetskiking

Yes, you can drill a tank if it is not already. If its tempered then no you cannot. Best bet is to contact the manufacturer. I know aqeon puts it on there site. You can supposedly use polarized glasses to tell if its tempered but I have never tried. A quick call to the manufacturer is all I've ever needed.

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3138246
Would a circular polarizer filter on a camera have the same effect?
Mark
Not sure. You know how when your driving down the rd with your polarized sunglasses and the car windows look like they have bubbles in them? Supposed to be the same effect if you take the tank in the sun and view from the glasses. I would think that the polarized lense would do the same thing but I don't know.

jas1

I was told you can see with your eyes wearing polarized sunglasses with direct sunlight shining on the tank. It has a patterned look if it's tempered. I don't know how much you want to spend or how big of a tank you want but I got my 125gal from that "SmartPet" place brand new for $300 and it is NOT tempered. I'm not sure on a used tank it may be a gamble because they only recently started applying the sticker. If your buying a new tank just make sure to look on the bottom between the glass and the cross braces if it's tempered it will have a sticker (usually bright orange) that says WARNING: tempered glass DO NOT DRILL. Mine did not have that sticker so I bought it. BUT... I called the manufacturer's 1-800# and they said if it doesn't have the sticker then it's not tempered. I still had the manager write on the receipt that it did not have a sticker and initial it. I don't know what you have for glass shops in your area but a local one near me drilled my holes for $10 each and it was worth every penny!!! Hope this helped Mark. You can PM me if you like

jas1

Originally Posted by jetskiking
http:///forum/post/3138250
Not sure. You know how when your driving down the rd with your polarized sunglasses and the car windows look like they have bubbles in them? Supposed to be the same effect if you take the tank in the sun and view from the glasses. I would think that the polarized lense would do the same thing but I don't know.
+1 that's what I heard too!!!

markw

Well, Id imagine that the windshield on trucks and cars are tempered like you say, the polarizer lens takes out any glare or reflections and I dont see any pattern or anything like stated in the photos taken with it. We'll see.
This may seem like a dumb question, but once the holes are drilled..then what? I mean I know they need some type of covering to technically be considered an overflow (something for the water fo flow over) instead of holes..so I imagine they sell these somewhere?
Mark

jas1

Originally Posted by Markw http:///forum/post/3138280
Well, Id imagine that the windshield on trucks and cars are tempered like you say, the polarizer lens takes out any glare or reflections and I dont see any pattern or anything like stated in the photos taken with it. We'll see.
This may seem like a dumb question, but once the holes are drilled..then what? I mean I know they need some type of covering to technically be considered an overflow (something for the water fo flow over) instead of holes..so I imagine they sell these somewhere?
Mark
There are many different ways to build OF's (weir's) I used the Durso Standpipe design on my tank you can also see the design Posiden used it's the Bean Animal design https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/365746/how-hard-is-it-to-have-a-tank-drilled

A

abeandlulu

I have a 90 gallon. When we got it, it was not drilled. The bottom of the tank is tempered. The owner of our saltwater fish store came to our house and drilled the back of the tank instead of the bottom. Hope this may be of some help%% Mine cost $400 of everything He did it all took the tank down drilled it, put in the corneroverflow, sump to. And then put it all back together

rlablan

I went to an LFS to get mine taken care of.
Turns out, the tank accidentally went to the original builder, so he totally knew what he was doing!!!
I was going to drill mine myself but there was no way. The brace on my tank had to be compromised, which is a big deal. I also had to have it drilled.
The Builder drilled everything, fused it and siliconed it, plus made my custom sump and overflow.
It cost me $700 for everything. It was the cheapest I found.... And it was the from the actual builder!!

posiden

Originally Posted by Jas1 http:///forum/post/3138286
There are many different ways to build OF's (weir's) I used the Durso Standpipe design on my tank you can also see the design Posiden used it's the Bean Animal design https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/362133/125-gal-upgrade/60
Thanks jas1.
Here is the tank so you don't have to click the link. If you already haven't
The back. I cut the tank for the wier to go into the external OF box.

A front shot. In this pic I havent drilled the return yet. Three of the pipes are drains and one is the return.

Hope this helps.
I think jas1 was able to find a local glass shop willing to drill his tank. They even garenteed the work. Not to many shops will do that. It is a drill at owners risk. That is why I decided to do my own work. I am glade too, cause it isn't hard at all. I am sure they are a lot quicker then I am but, time I have. Money I don't.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3138280
Well, Id imagine that the windshield on trucks and cars are tempered like you say, the polarizer lens takes out any glare or reflections and I dont see any pattern or anything like stated in the photos taken with it.
Automotive windshields are laminated safety glass not tempered, though the sides and rear window are tempered.
Almost all tanks built recently have tempered bottom panes, but the rest aren't. If you can see the brown spots on the bottom but not the sides, you're good to go. But if you can't on the bottom, I'd be a bit worried (if the tank's newer) and call the manufacture.
I had a guy in our local reef club drill my refugium for the cost of a six-pack
. Might check on google for a reef club in your area.

markw

I have, I cant find any. Maybe Im doing it wrong? I live in MD if anyone knows of one that isnt listed on google. Im off for the night. I will respond to everyone else tomorrow. Thanks alot!
Mark

aquaknight

You mean you've tried the ones you found on google, or you can't any at all?
Obviously I can't provide the links, but these are active clubs...
Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society (CMAS)
Washington D.C. Area Marine Aquarist Society, Inc. (WAMAS)
Southern Maryland Marine Aquarist Society (SMMAS)

king_neptune

I drilled my tank myself. Its actually very easy and safe to do. I ordered my diamond bit for under $20 and it arrived a few days later.
google: glass holes
follow the first link. they also have a good video on the site showing how to drill. if you want more details follow my build thread, i spent a couple pages talking about drilling holes.

calbert0

$20 bucks for my drill hole..... WELL WORTH IT OVER A P.O.S OVER FLOW BOX FOR CLOSE TO $80
no cracks no problems and im quite happy with the results over a year later