How hard is it to keep anemones ?

derwood

New to marine tanks and wondering how hard it is to keep Anemones? How much light do they really need? Is there a good species to start with? What are the special feeding requirements (if any)?
I have a 35 G Hex with ~20-30# LR, 3 clowns, 1 Humbug, and a very small hermit.

birdy

Anemones are one of the hardest animals to keep alive, I have never kept one nor will I ever keep one ( I may someday try a propagated bubble tip) . They require intense light, and pristine water conditions most do best with direct feedings of meaty foods. I really do not think most should be kept in captivity and only by experienced aquarist. They live for many many years in the wild and in captivity if they live more than a year you are doing pretty good. If you must have one, please research alot about them.

michaeltx

I agree with the above I have a bubble tip that is doing very well but if everything isnt just so it will shrivle up and if left uncorrected it will die.
Mike

T

thomas712

Well they say its hard. Maybe I'm lucky. I have two tanks. The 90 is new only 3 months old and I'm letting it season.
The 55 has 4 BTA anemonies in it, One that has split three times to give me 4 total. This system has a horrable amount of crushed coral nearly 3 inches. Two saddle filters, and two powerheads, and about 60 pounds of liverock as well as 380 watts of VHO lighting. This is the system that gives me trouble with alkalinity. My water flucuates in this tank, as do the conditions. And yet my xenas are growing like weeds, the anemonies look great, star polyps are overgrowing rocks, mushrooms and frogspawn are fair right now. Go figure, my anemonies are happy without me feeding them anything, just lighting. NO sump, no skimmer, They need good lighting.
Thomas

php

i find it is very easy to keep a anenome all you have to do is monitor the ph every few days and keep the PH where the anenome is comfortable

well most of anemones ide from other fishes nicking at them or getting sucked up in the power filter, so i got rid of those fishes and move my power filter closer to the top and now they are fine

fshhub

keeping an anemone is not easy at all, not if your definition of keeping is keeping it alive.
thye should live for centuries, but often in aquariums do not live to be 3 yrs old. In fact, probably 90% die before 6 months, and of those left, maybe 10% left will hope to see a year. I define success with these beautiful creatures to be a decade at least(and I have only heard of even one instance there). And will not listen much to advice given by those who have not kept one for over a year.
And nobody knows exactly why we cannot keep them long.

hattrick58

I had a bubble tipped anemone once and it was thriving quite well. One morning I woke up and he was gone and I mean disappeared! I lifted every rock several times and never found it. I was very dismayed and although it was easy to keep, I don't think I'll get another one. My Maroon Clown is content enough without it.

fshhub

Originally posted by hattrick58
I had a bubble tipped anemone once and it was thriving quite well. One morning I woke up and he was gone and I mean disappeared! I lifted every rock several times and never found it. I was very dismayed and although it was easy to keep, I don't think I'll get another one. My Maroon Clown is content enough without it.

easy?
ok

hattrick58

Yeah, easy. I had him for 6 months and didn't have any problems with him. Bubble tips are about the easiest to care for.

fshhub

i stand corrected, 6 months
wow! that anemone lived a long healthy life(only about 2000yrs shy of what it should have), before it died and disintigrated(which they do)
see above:
I'll say it again
keeping an anemone is not easy at all, not if your definition of keeping is keeping it alive.
thye should live for centuries, but often in aquariums do not live to be 3 yrs old. In fact, probably 90% die before 6 months, and of those left, maybe 10% left will hope to see a year. I define success with these beautiful creatures to be a decade at least(and I have only heard of even one instance there). And will not listen much to advice given by those who have not kept one for over a year.
And nobody knows exactly why we cannot keep them long.

fshhub

I keep htema t work, only because I have no choice, not exactly my tank
I do not and will not kep htem at home, b/c they are very delicate and are not easy to keep. Although low maintanance, keeping them alive is much much more difficult than keeping any fish alive. I have a hard time believing that they are easy, just because they will almost never live long in a tank.