How hight is your MH

Well after having my MH light where it has been for a year. I need to try to move it up more. My Frogspawn is too bleached. Same goes for my acros. Right now its about 10 inches above my tank. I actually raised it up more two weeks ago. prob 2 inches. The only problem is where i have my T5 retro fitted... I might have to make a whole new canopy. I really don't want to because I'm gonna finish building my bigger tank when i get married in 2 months. The tank is 20L with a 150w 14k Phoenix. Also wishing i got a 20k a month ago...

deejeff442

10 inch? thats nuts i have 3 250watt mh 4 inches off the water and have 15 different corals all are kickin a++.i think you have other issues not the lights.in fact my frog spawn since i took it out of my 90 reef with 2 175watt mh and put it in this tank has doubled in size in a year.

i dont see what it could be. My gsp, birds nest, sun coral, brain coral, zoas, and shrooms are just fine. Its really just one acro and the hammer coral.. SORRY not frogspawn. I always say frogspawn. And my friends tank had a torch coral that pretty much died and now its coming back to life in my tank.

deejeff442

i have a huge 7 inch wide hammer in my tank.the trick to these corals is placement.try moving them to different flow areas ,up or down the tank.i have a torch that drives me nuts .i move it ,it shrinks ,i move it again it blows up a month later shrinks ,move it again it blows up ....you get it.placement to find the happy spot is a pain sometime.its not always where you prefer.

oh my hammer went from 2 heads last august to 56 heads now! its huge! and i need to frag it but my LFS arent taking frags for mulah. so i might as well just throw them away... sad day. same with monti it got huge and i had to break parts of it off 3 weeks ago and throw away the pieces. its already grown back.... WOW i forgot to mention my monti in the previous list... whoa is me

deejeff442

i hear ya brother .my torch was 8 heads i split it 4 times probably 50 + in there .but its a 250 gallon tank so it aint crowded yet.
sometimes you just get a coral that is a pita. move them around to find the sweet spot.

i mean is that the only reason why it is white? When i got it it looked like a hammer. Now it looks more like a frogspawn, white with green tips. I have moved it around. Ive had it all over the tank!

deejeff442

your kinda losin me.a hammer looks nothing like a frogspawn. one has a point and the other a cm wide end.i dont think they change.although i dont say i have seen it all.just when you you say you have seen it all then comes a new one.
you mean bleach white or just a light cream color?
my hammer is brown with green tips.well hammer tips

E

eric b 125

its my understanding that raising a halide from the surface of the water a few inches doesnt have an impact on the PAR of the light because air doesnt diffuse the light like water. if you have overheating issues because of the light, then raising it would make a difference.

nikesb

raising the lights definately has an impact. but we're not talking 2-3 inches, more like adding 10+ more. since its a 20L tank, i imagine your height is only 12" tall.
couple of things you can do if you cant raise it:
1) increase surface agitiation
2) add a light defuser (egg crate). this will reduce par by 25%
3) build a screen top and use 3-4 layers of mesh. only one needs to attached to the frame, the others just lay on top. and this allows you to gradually adjust the par
i've chosen 1 and 3 to do on my tank. its been bouncing back after having my acros bleached for 4 months.

slice

Wait...
You're getting married in 2 months?!?
Your problems go well beyond lights....just sayin'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/384303/how-hight-is-your-mh#post_3366161
raising the lights definitely has an impact. but we're not talking 2-3 inches, more like adding 10+ more. since its a 20L tank, i imagine your height is only 12" tall.
couple of things you can do if you cant raise it:
1) increase surface agitation
2) add a light defuser (egg crate). this will reduce par by 25%
3) build a screen top and use 3-4 layers of mesh. only one needs to attached to the frame, the others just lay on top. and this allows you to gradually adjust the par
i've chosen 1 and 3 to do on my tank. its been bouncing back after having my acros bleached for 4 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///forum/thread/384303/how-hight-is-your-mh#post_3366162
Wait...
You're getting married in 2 months?!?

Your problems go well beyond lights....just sayin'....

yeah your telling me......... although she wants me to go to a bigger tank. Despite i tell her idk if we can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/384303/how-hight-is-your-mh#post_3366063
your kinda losin me.a hammer looks nothing like a frogspawn. one has a point and the other a cm wide end.i dont think they change.although i dont say i have seen it all.just when you you say you have seen it all then comes a new one.
you mean bleach white or just a light cream color?
my hammer is brown with green tips.well hammer tips
Here are the pics. It is a hammer just weird colored. I fragged it the other day so here is whats left.

Huh idk the more i look around at different pictures it looks like a fog spawn. Its definitely not a hammer. Torch corals have way longer tentacle like the one i have.