how hot is fatel to swf

diablo

right now i am concerned. it has finnally gottin hot in seattle and im trippin........
my tank temp on my fowlr is 86 deg. i have a chiller on my reef. but how hot is too hot for these guys i feel so bad for them right now. i have put ice cubes in a ziplock bag and floated them. they melted too fast temp dropped 1/2 deg. dont want to stress them out by water change with cold water. but these little guys didnt deserve my mistake

f1shman

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT COOL IT QUICKLY, AS LONG AS YOU COOL IT SLOWLY, THEY SHOULD MOSTLY RECOVER! The reason i say taht in caps is because so many people get freaked out that there temp is high, lower it fast, and then everything dies because of them, otherwise everything would have been fine.

rainfishy

I don't know the technical fatal number, but i do know that yest. I left the house for the whole day and the ac got left off (big accident). The temp outside got to 104, when I got home at 9pm the tank was at 88 (its a small tank). I let it cool over night as the AC cooled the whole house down. Anyways to make a long story short, as of right now nothing in my tank has died, not even the corals. So hopefully you'll be OK.

diablo

ok fan will get put on in a second. and that is what i thought about cooling to fast. thats why i did the ice cubes lower it slowly. i just feel so bad they are all really active right now and that is not usual

viper_930

The temp in my tank went to 86 with no problems. Then a second time it went to 87 and I lost a yellow coris wrasse and a frogspawn.

zeromus-x

I average around 80 in my tank. My power went out during a big storm we had last month and the tank temperature according to the little glass thermometer in the tank made it up to 94. I didn't have any casualties, and lowered it slowly using small amounts of ice constantly throughout the evening. I figure if that didn't kill 'em, nothing will.