How important is a UV sterilizer?

U

usirchchris

Fairly debatable...what are you trying to accomplish?...water clarity...parasite control? Can kill both good and bad stuff so some will say they are no good. I think if you are going for water clarity they are good, but again it can kill some good stuff as well. If you are using it for parasite control...it may help in killing a few, but overall this is a futile attempt.

snakeblitz33

it can go both ways. If you want clarity and parasite control, go for it. But, if you just want your tank to be healthy without all the extra stuff, you don't need it.

mx#28

Originally Posted by doodle1800
http:///forum/post/2822249
On my 210?
opinions?
It's not a requirement by any means and you'll find lots of people who speak out against them (mostly to combat reliance on UV for parasite control) - but I LOVE mine. In a FO tank where you're not worried about zapping small, important things, I think it's well worth it - my 150 is so clear it looks waterless. If you do use the UV, I'd oversize the heck out of it or don't bother - most products are WAY over-rated.

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by MX#28
http:///forum/post/2822356
It's not a requirement by any means and you'll find lots of people who speak out against them (mostly to combat reliance on UV for parasite control) - but I LOVE mine. In a FO tank where you're not worried about zapping small, important things, I think it's well worth it - my 150 is so clear it looks waterless. If you do use the UV, I'd oversize the heck out of it or don't bother - most products are WAY over-rated.
I'm never going to get one but I'm curious. How much do you spend on that. I mean how much do you spend on your size bulb and how often do you have to replace it ?

zanoshanox

Not a fan of UV's myself at all. i've always had more success with my reef tanks when not using a UV. Maybe would be useful on a very large fish only with expensive fish in it...But i wouldn't recomend them for a reef.

legion

I noticed no change in the tank(1 year use). Took it off yesterday. I would say that it would serve a better purpose on a q tank, but for a main, its just extra equipment

mx#28

Originally Posted by Ilovemytank
http:///forum/post/2822397
I'm never going to get one but I'm curious. How much do you spend on that. I mean how much do you spend on your size bulb and how often do you have to replace it ?
I have access to industrial grade UV parts and pieces so I did mine DIY for next to nothing cost-wise.

dragonboy

I think the Ozone is more effective than the UV but its good to have if your a Fish only tank. I'm planning to try one of those cause I'm going all fish only.

calaxa

Well a sterilizer will kill indiscriminately. Good things as well as bad things will be affected. Remember in a reef setup, you're striving for biodiversity. The UV sterilizer will definitely go counter to this. In a FOWLR, I see more use for it. However, many copepods, isopods, amphipods will be eliminated which might not be the best course of action either. For water clarity, UV is nice though.