How long can a yellow tang...

S

sarah fair

how long can a yellow tang last in a 10 gallon tank with 1 domino? i know this was a bad mistake but i didnt know that till today..but hes about 3 inches long and has been in there for about a week or so

seaequus

the poor yellow tang is going to get the harrassment of it's life, if the domino was there first he will harrass the tang. Size in this case does not matter as damsels set up territories and even in the wild the will try to nip the hands of divers that get to close! If the damsel gets too pushy I'd remove it as the tank is not big enough for the both of them!
In regards to tank size for a yellow tang a 30 gallon or bigger is required...good luck!

S

sarah fair

Acctually they get along nicely...they are pals really..but im getting a bigger tank is just going to take awhile to get everything ready...and i was just wondering how long he will last in there

pfitz44

YT need atleast 6' of swimming room.. making them need atleast a 125gal tank!!
get him out of there ASAP!!

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by SeaEquus
In regards to tank size for a yellow tang a 30 gallon or bigger is required...good luck!
Very inaccurate. A 30 will not be any better than a 10, as far as the needs of YT's.
75 is good, but bigger is definately better.
In a 10 gallon, I will give your tang 3 weeks before you see signs of HLLE, and sluggishness, if he isn't moved to a bigger tank, the HLLE will increase and eventually lead to his death. If not moved, after you first see it, it will rapidly engulf the fish's lateral line and head.
If you aren't to attached yet, maybe you can trade him in the classifieds for dry goods such as a skimmer or some LR or something we all could use. What state are you in?

seaequus

The bigger the better I would agree however my friend was on a budget and has a nano reef in a 30 gal long that he has a yellow tang for 5 years that has done very well.

T

tizzo

There are back and forth arguements about the issue all over the boards, so I will try to avoid another. However, if you have actually ever seen the natural behavior of a tang, they, unlike all other "reef fish" are notorious fast, distance swimmers. Your friend who has one in a 30, I do not doubt you that it is alive, however, I would disagree that it is well. I would definately think it at least has some muscle atrophy. Not lethal, but not really well either.
Your friend got lucky that the fish is still alive, but I would not promote to new hobbiests that they should do the same.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Tizzo
There are back and forth arguements about the issue all over the boards, so I will try to avoid another. However, if you have actually ever seen the natural behavior of a tang, they, unlike all other "reef fish" are notorious fast, distance swimmers. Your friend who has one in a 30, I do not doubt you that it is alive, however, I would disagree that it is well. I would definately think it at least has some muscle atrophy. Not lethal, but not really well either.
Your friend got lucky that the fish is still alive, but I would not promote to new hobbiests that they should do the same.

I agree with Tizzo. Please, let's not encourage newbies to put tangs in 30 gallons.

T

tizzo

Near the Augusta side or the other side of the state??
What's your e-mail addy?

jr2857

Originally Posted by PFitz44
YT need atleast 6' of swimming room.. making them need atleast a 125gal tank!!
get him out of there ASAP!!
6'ft squared or 6ft in length?

batman1820

You guys are waaay too aggressive when it comes to tangs. Yes, a yellow tang is going to need a minimum of 100 gallons but that doesnt mean a three inch tang will die instantly...
it will probably last months in there assuming the damsel doesnt kill it. You should return it if u don't think u can get a tank big enough for it, otherwise get a bigger tank. Big tanks are a lot funner anyways. Good luck.

rara12

i agree with batman. But a ten is tiny and i wouldnt keep it in that is smaller the a 30 after qt.

lion_crazz

Tizzo was right on this issue. The tang needs a bigger tank and will not last more than 3 or 4 weeks without getting HLLE or sluggishness. Nothing good can come from a yellow tang being in a 10 gallon tank for any longer than a few weeks ( and then strictly for QT purposes only).
And JR, PFitz meant 6' in length, as 125 gallon tanks are normally 6' long.

S

sarah fair

I live neat atlanta..like a little north east of it...but ya im getting a bigger tank..

batman1820

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Tizzo was right on this issue. The tang needs a bigger tank and will not last more than 3 or 4 weeks without getting HLLE or sluggishness. Nothing good can come from a yellow tang being in a 10 gallon tank for any longer than a few weeks ( and then strictly for QT purposes only).
And JR, PFitz meant 6' in length, as 125 gallon tanks are normally 6' long.
Its chances of getting a disease is greater, but believe me, i see a lot of people with tangs in small tanks like that and they DONT get diseases as easily as u may think. Do you guys honestly think that everyone who goes into a LFS and buys a tang has a 100 gallon tank?

nm reef

"Its chances of getting a disease is greater, but believe me, i see a lot of people with tangs in small tanks like that and they DONT get diseases as easily as u may think. Do you guys honestly think that everyone who goes into a LFS and buys a tang has a 100 gallon tank?"
I think you may be mising the point....tangs do need room to roam and in a small system they will be prone to stress related issues...its a fact. The larger the system the better the chances for them to thrive...plain and simple. Sure a small 3" tang will do ok in a under 30 gal tank...but there are issues to consider. In regard to your last statement.....no....I don't believe most tangs purchased at LFS go into systems adaquate for their long term survival...but that does not justify the purchase. Bottom line is the vast majority of tang species need room to roam and if not provided adaquate space they are much less likely to thrive long term. You stated that you have a friend with a tang in a small tank for "years"....I contend that for every 100 tangs placed in small systems the majority will not last beyond 6 months.....but the larger the system the better the chances for long term survival.

alyssia

Originally Posted by NM reef
"Its chances of getting a disease is greater, but believe me, i see a lot of people with tangs in small tanks like that and they DONT get diseases as easily as u may think. Do you guys honestly think that everyone who goes into a LFS and buys a tang has a 100 gallon tank?"
I think you may be mising the point....tangs do need room to roam and in a small system they will be prone to stress related issues...its a fact. The larger the system the better the chances for them to thrive...plain and simple. Sure a small 3" tang will do ok in a under 30 gal tank...but there are issues to consider. In regard to your last statement.....no....I don't believe most tangs purchased at LFS go into systems adaquate for their long term survival...but that does not justify the purchase. Bottom line is the vast majority of tang species need room to roam and if not provided adaquate space they are much less likely to thrive long term. You stated that you have a friend with a tang in a small tank for "years"....I contend that for every 100 tangs placed in small systems the majority will not last beyond 6 months.....but the larger the system the better the chances for long term survival.

Maybe we are "aggressive" because we care about the health and happiness of the fish.

rach4194

I agree also, they need much more room, however I now feel like a hypocrite.
I have a 55 gallon with a Red Sea sailfin tang and a Yellow tang. They both were pretty small when they were given to me. They were in a 10 gallon tank and in very poor condition when I asked if I could have them.
A year later they are thriving and getting bigger everyday. I wish I knew someone that lived in Colorado that had a bigger tank and I would happily give them away. I don't want to give them to my lfs because I don't think they would survive, all the fish look sick.
Now I'm so attached to them I will probably up grade to a bigger tank or I could give them to The Denver aquarium. They would have millions of gallons to swim in, I also volunteer there so maybe if I could tag them I could try and find them in the huge tanks.