How long do you keep lights on for?

S

sinner's girl

ok, that's funny, i made a post, it said wait min, but then it wasn't here?
6 hours i think, they come on before I get home and go off after I go to bed (most nights i don't get in till after 9 or 11). Lights go off around 3am or so I think. no algea, and happy fish. (don't have any corals either, which may require more/less light?)

saltfin

I go to work early and I like to feed twice a day a small amount. I like things awake and ready to eat. If I get fancy with a cocktail (multiple mixture of fish food that is) I like to serve that maybe 3 hours or so before their bed time. So:
1)Lights on at 5am breakfast served at 6am - 7:30am lights out. Dark type rec room no one usually there during day. By the way its fun watching an anomene wake up - sometimes just a tiny little pink foot maybe 2 tentacles hanging out barried under a rock then stretching out to a 10" monster waving in the breeze (water).
2) 3:30pm lights on kids home - play begins - I feed dinner 7pm or so lights out 11:30pm cocktail or not!
Lets see: 2.5 + 8= oops I'm short on hours. Should be approx 11 to 12 hrs I hear. Important wahtever you do each day should be about the same.

saltfin

I go to work early and I like to feed twice a day a small amount. I like things awake and ready to eat. If I get fancy with a cocktail (multiple mixture of fish food that is) I like to serve that maybe 3 hours or so before their bed time. So:
1)Lights on at 5am breakfast served at 6am - 7:30am lights out. Dark type rec room no one usually there during day. By the way its fun watching an anomene wake up - sometimes just a tiny little pink foot maybe 2 tentacles hanging out barried under a rock then stretching out to a 10" monster waving in the breeze (water).
2) 3:30pm lights on kids home - play begins - I feed dinner 7pm or so lights out 11:30pm cocktail or not!
Lets see: 2.5 + 8= oops I'm short on hours. Should be approx 11 to 12 hrs I hear. Important wahtever you do each day should be about the same.

I was told that you should keep your lights on for 8 hours a day, no longer...Have you had any problems with algea growth when keeping your lights on for 10-12 hours a day.
I want mine on 1pm to 12 pm....so I can see them at lunch and when I go to bed, do you think this is too long? I was told by a friend who is into saltwater that it was too long...what do you all think?

I keep mine on for 13 hours a day,have for the 8
months that i've had it,so far no problems.I thing
that the greater the light the more algee will
grow,at a faster rate.But this is why there are
clean up crews.