How long does it take for protein skimmer.....

How long does it take for a brand new skimmer to start skimming nasty stuff. My tank has been without a skimmer for about a month. I just bought a new one and hooked it up 24 hours ago. It's finally bubbling up and into the collection cup but it doesn't seem to be cleaning anything. Their isn't any gunk in the bubbles. Do I need to wait a bit longer for the skimmer to "break in"? This is my first brand new skimmer. I've always bought used ones. :)

mr . salty

It really depends on the bio load in the tank.That is How many fish and what kind....If you have little or no load,,or the tank is new,,,There may be nothing to skim....Most skimmers can take up to a week to break in...

My tank has been set up for 4 months I think. Around that. It's a reef tank and has plenty of inverts and has about 6 fish. It looks like the skimmer is trying to get gunk out. We'll see. :)

kdlbem

My berlin took almost two weeks of constant adjustments before it REALLY started working properly. Stick with it :)
B

dburr

Saltwaterkid,
Can you give more info.
Your tank has been up a week?
Do you use DSB or Berlin or...
I think after 2 weeks it should be broken in.
Maybe you have the perfect tank set up :D :D :D

No no, my tank has been set up for 4 months at least. I have a 3 inch sandbed. It's a 75g reef. It definately needed a skimmer. The skimmer is starting to kick out gunk like it almost should. I think in a few days its going to be kicking butt.