how long should i wait for new water

|2ain

when i do a water change i dechlorinate the water and then dump salt in the huge bin mix it up and wait 10 minutes for it to become clear, is this enough time or is it bad for the tank to put it in right away, should i wait longer or mix everything up a day before hand? sometimes i think its totally clear then i put it in and you can see all the salt for a couple minutes. whats the proper procedure for water changes?plz help

T

thomas712

You should let it mix with a powerhead and heater for at least 24-48 hours. It should match the temp and salinity of the main tank. It should also be well aerated.
Thomas

|2ain

when you say heater, what type are you suggesting, its a 30 gallon bucket im mixing in, thx for the quick response!

a9chooch

when i do my water change i take 1/4th the water out and then put aqua clear in to dechlorinate, and then add salt.i dont mix in a bucket or anything,u dont have to.my fish and corals do fine.:happy:

|2ain

your saying that you add directly into the tank? i have been doing kinda the same thing just mixing by hand for a couple of min before hand

T

thomas712

I am afraid that is very poor advice. In another thread a guy did the same thing, now he is wondering why his anemone is all shrivled up.
Next time you get a cut, stick your wound in the saltwater and tell me if it hurts. Thats how your fish and corals feel when you add raw salt directly to the water.
It burns and irritates corals, gills on the fish, messes with your water chemistry.
Bad advice, just plain bad.

fire30b

how about using 5 gal buckets and mixing the salt in there for 2 days. Thats the way I do it never had a problem.

theplowking

I use only ROI water purchased from a machine at the Grocery Store. It cost around .25 a gallon. I then mix about 20 gallons in a clean ( fish tank Only) trash can with salt, a heater and powerhead. I do this 3 days before I plan on a water change.