How long till it starts to cycle?

movadoman21

i have my 2 clow fish in a 55 gal tank for 8 days just wondering when the cycleing will start casue i tested and everthing is good so far.
when would the cycle start? is it because they are small fish and wont dirty the tank that fast?

logan15

It will start be patient in this hobby you dont want to rush things or your bound to make a mistake.Do you have any live rock?Can you please give us some tank specs?
Logan

737mech

I would not try to cycle a tank with clownfish. Actually you DO NOT NEED FISH to cycle this tank. Raw shrimp from the grocery store is a lot cheaper. What you want is the amo level to increase and that is exactly what the raw shrimp will do to the water.
I cycled a QT tank this way and it worked great.
I'd take the fish back to your LFS until your tank is cycled. They will probably die otherwise.

cboyfan2020

i agree with 737, clownfish would not be a fish I would cycle with. Alot of people used damsels but they can be a b#$
to get back out of the tank. These hardy fish sometimes die when cycling the tank and I'm 99% sure your clownfish will die if you dont remove them.

movadoman21

hello
well i have 2 clow fish in a 5gal fluval 303 filter, natuers live sand a sprotien skimmer installed but not running. i i know the fish aren't good to use for cycling but i bought them already and i will keep them through the cycle i didn't knwo abuo the shirmp untill after i go the fish. and i have no live rock or live coral in there just some rocks.

737mech

Warning:Keeping the clowns alive thru the cycling of your tank is highly unlikely. You really need to do some research. We all make mistakes starting out. Just don't get any more fish until that tank is cycled. Your tank is 5gal? That's pretty small even for a QT. It's going to be difficult keeping on top of things in there. The more water you have the greater the margin of error. Just the water temp alone will be hard to keep constant. Fish do not do well with a constantly changing (unstable) environment.
Best of luck to the clowns.....

737mech

I'm sorry. I just realized that you have a 55gal tank. Your last post was so full of typos it confused me.