How long to keep lights on refugium

I have a 125 gallon tank, 40 gallon sump, 15 gallon refugium with caulerpa. How long should I run the lights on my refugium? I know some run 24/7 and others on off schedule of main lights. Just curious what everyone thinks.

bang guy

Yeah, many run 24/7. It's fine but IMO running off schedule from the display gives the most bang for the buck.

snakeblitz33

I like 16 on, 8 off.
Used to, people believed that plants had to have some time in the dark for "dark reactions" to occur. The truth is, dark reactions happen in conjunction with light reactions regardless of thr schedule. The reason to offset it from your display tank lights is because when the lights are on, the algae produces plenty of oxygen while uptaking ammonia. The o2 produced elevates and stabilizes the pH.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/394738/how-long-to-keep-lights-on-refugium#post_3513478
I like 16 on, 8 off.
Used to, people believed that plants had to have some time in the dark for "dark reactions" to occur. The truth is, dark reactions happen in conjunction with light reactions regardless of thr schedule. The reason to offset it from your display tank lights is because when the lights are on, the algae produces plenty of oxygen while uptaking ammonia. The o2 produced elevates and stabilizes the pH.

I think you have it bass ackwards Snake. I'm not sure that O2 has much effect on PH. Dissolved CO2 is acidic though.

snakeblitz33

Its not only the o2 from plants, but also atmospheric o2. Ever wonder the reason why we dont recommend glass tops? Gas exchange, right? It elevates the pH. CO2 in solution makes carbonic acid, your right. Thats how calcium reactors work. The CO2 creates a weak acid to dissolve the limestone.
If i am wrong, by all means tell me. Im here to learn. I would like to know the reason.

bang guy

Glass tops prevent CO2 from equalizing with the room air. Since CO2 is acidic (yes, Carbonic Acid) the accumulated CO2 will lower the PH of the water.
As algae consumes CO2 it releases O2 but it's the removal of the CO2 that raises the PH, not the creation of O2.
At least that's how I understand it.

snakeblitz33

I'll do some more digging and ask one of my professors today to see if I can get some more insight. I'll get back to you as soon as I can with whatever I find. But, that does sound right. But, we could both be right as well. I'll just have to research more.