how long to wait to put in fish?

movadoman21

i started my salt water tank on wesnday and everthing tested perfect wiht the ph levels and everything else i am jsut trying to get the salt in my tank down. once thats done how long do i have to wiat to put "test" fish in or coral?

marco333

i would wait at lease 2 more weeks then test your water again, and if all is good get a test fish.
As for corals, you need a well established tank, and you need to wait a few months before adding some corals.
What lighting/filtration are you using?

rich1515

One piece of advice. Make sure that the fish that you put in is a fish that you will be happy with. The reason that I say that is because the last thing that you want to do is put a "test" fish in such as a damsel and then figure out later on that you really don't like the fish. Because capturing it will be a whole different world.
Imagine moving all of the rock that you have taken time to build and then tearing it completley apart to get this fish.
Trust me. There are people on this board that will agree and that have been through it.
Corals + new tank = expensive expiriments
Corals + established tank = beautiful investments

michaeltx

thats not a lot of time for the tank to cycle.it usually takes 4+ weeks for it to cycle completely. I dont think your cycle has actually began yet even though all levels are at 0.if you atarted with quality cured LR you might not even notice the cycle but when you add fish to the system it throw into a cycle and putting the livestock in danger. I would add a raw piece of shrimp or something to the tank to start off the cycle before I added any fish to the tank. and I agree with the above dont add any damsels they are a pain in the butt to get rid of and are aggressive also.
IMO
Mike