how long to wait to put in fish?

movadoman21

i started my salt water tank on wesnday and everthing tested perfect with the ph levels and everything else i am jsut trying to get the salt in my tank down. once thats done how long do i have to wiat to put "test" fish in or coral?

S

sebae0

first question is how are you cycling your tank? do you have live rock in there? you have to cycle the tank first b4 you really want to add fish. cycling means taking your tank thru the nitrogen cycle where waste is created, then ammonia rises, then nitrite rises, and after both of these come down you will start to accumate nitrate. this process usually takes about 4-6 weeks, but you have to start it with something that will decay in the tank like a cocktail shrimp. some people do use damsels but sometimes at the risk of the fish dying. do a search on this site and put in cycling a tank. you should get alot of info to help you out. good luck

michaeltx

hey guy just a quick note you will get more responses if you put your Q under the correct forms and not post the same Q under multiple forums it makes it hard for people to remember what they have responded to in general. plus it will make it easier for people to read through and see what other advice was given and add from there. I replied my answer on the other Q in fish forum.
BTW I dont mean no disrespect from the above also the advice here is good and if you follow it you will have a gorgeous tank.
FWIW
Mike

Get yourself a good test kit testing for at least the minimums of Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and Ph other test will help too. I would suggest cycling with a dead grocery store shrimp.