How loud is your tank?

toggil

I have a 75 gallon RR tank, but due to remodeling in our house if I want to set it up anytime soon the only place that will work is my bedroom.
So my question is how loud is your setup? I plan on having a sump with a protein skimmer and submerged return pump in it, and I'm wondering if these things are so loud I won't be able to sleep at night.

bessycerka

I love the sound of moving water, the waves at the ocean in NC is one thing I miss much, but fans and motors running can be annoying.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by nls82580
my 72 gallon is in my room and it doesnt bother me as long as you keep it full:)
Yes, if you set it up with the noise level in mind; it can be done fairly easily. All 3 0f my tanks are very, very quiet.

bonebrake

Any tank will make some noise and it may bother your sleep at first, but after awhile you'll get used to the monotonous sound and won't be able to sleep without it.

bessycerka

The Aquaclear 70 power head is silent as a can be, but the Rena hang on the back filter makes this annoying hum/whirring sound.

toggil

Well i already have my freshwater tank in my room and have no problem with that. I just wasn't really sure how much noise things like protein skimmers and return pumps and powerheads made.
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

bonebrake

The noisiest things in a reef tank are the overflow, the drain in the sump, and the fans for your lights - it can take a great deal of tweaking to dampen their noise.

toggil

I was planning on using T5 lighting would I need cooling fans for these I figured that would only be needed with MH.

m0nk

I run the fan on my PC lights the entire time the lights are on, and it's not real quiet. My skimmer is also not too quiet (it's an HOB one though), so personally I wouldn't run my setup in my bedroom. If your skimmer is going in the sump, and depending on what brand, you might be able to get away with it. Plus, I suppose you wouldn't have your lighting running when you're sleeping, too.

ccfl

I'm going crazy with the overflow sounds of (toilet flushing) it did have the water fall sounds but added a sponge and that took care of that, now trying to figure out how to fix the toilet flushing.
I added a AquaC 180 skimmer with a Mag8 pump and it doesn't make a sound but when I moved things around to install the skimmer now my main pump is putting a humming sound in the whole sump area that is driving me CRAZY!!!
I now have pillows, towels and blankets stuffed around to muffle the sound until I can figure out what to do, can't figure out why it didn't do this when I didn't have the skimmer in. Oh, I have the Nova Extreme T5 lights and they don't make a sound either.

flricordia

I just set-up a 65 corner tank that has a drilled overflow (1"), large PS (ASMG3) and internal return (Quiet One 4000) and the tank is loud, but to me the sound of the splashing water is soothing. But there again I have a Goffin cockatoo that sits on my shoulder and keens (cries) all night long and an African Gray that sits on the other shoulder and bursts out in whistles that makes my ear ring, a Pink Mollucan that screams so loud you can honestly hear her 2 blocks over, a Yellow head amazon that makes siren noises, a Red head amazon that repeatedly says 'hello' over and over and over and over, so a little tank noise probably isn't going to bother me while I am sleeping.
If it is too loud my recommendation is to get a Cockatoo or Mollucan.

bjoe23

my 29 is my room and i barely hear it. i dont have a skimmer but if i keep the water level high the filter u can barely hear

cpbirds407

Originally Posted by Flricordia
I just set-up a 65 corner tank that has a drilled overflow (1"), large PS (ASMG3) and internal return (Quiet One 4000) and the tank is loud, but to me the sound of the splashing water is soothing. But there again I have a Goffin cockatoo that sits on my shoulder and keens (cries) all night long and an African Gray that sits on the other shoulder and bursts out in whistles that makes my ear ring, a Pink Mollucan that screams so loud you can honestly hear her 2 blocks over, a Yellow head amazon that makes siren noises, a Red head amazon that repeatedly says 'hello' over and over and over and over, so a little tank noise probably isn't going to bother me while I am sleeping.
If it is too loud my recommendation is to get a Cockatoo or Mollucan.
LOL

I agree I prefer the tank noise to my blue fronted amazon