How many Amps am I using?

kjr_trig

Spoke to an electrician that lives near me, he said the circuit in the room where I have my 240 can handle up to 15 amps. I'm considering adding a chiller for next Summer and just am wondering how much I'm currently pushing, and if I could add a chiller....Here is what I have
roughly 750 watts of total lighting in PC and T5.
Mag 18, Mag 12, and Mag 3.5
2, 3,000 gph powerheads....they use 24 watts each.
There is a small lamp we occasionally use, but nothing else in there.
Was considering the JBJ 1/4 HP which uses 6 amps. Couldn't really find anything about Amp usage on the lights or PH's
.....Thanks.

spanko

I believe you can convert watts to amps in this case because the volts are fixed at 120V.
So if I am correct the calculation is;
Amps = Watts/Volts
So.........We need to know the watts on the Mags!!
Amps = 750+ ??? +48+6 / 120
Pleas let's get some other opinions before we go off with this. Like I said I only believe this to be true, would not stake my house burning down on it yet!!!!

mastertech

VOLTS * AMPS = WATTS
from what i see, you are using about 850-900 watts at 120 v.
120V * ? = 900w
so ? = ~7.5 amps + the 6 amp chiller = ~13.5 amps
that would be cutting it close to your 15 amp threshold

kjr_trig

Looks like I would have to change something to add a 6 amp chiller.....What are my options? Is that a tough/expensive thing to boost the circuit to handle more?

spanko

AHA I got this information
Mag 12 amps = 0.92
Mag 18 amps = 1.2
Mag 24 amps = 2.2
So from the calculation above
Amps = 750+48+6 / 120
These total 6.7 amps, add to that 4.32 from the total mag drives and your amp draw total would be 11.02 if we are doing this correctly.

mastertech

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3177498
Looks like I would have to change something to add a 6 amp chiller.....What are my options? Is that a tough/expensive thing to boost the circuit to handle more?
it may be as simple as changing the circuit breaker to a 20 amper!
but you should contact an electrician for that.

kjr_trig

Thanks for the help.
I will see what my options are....I guess the circuit right next to it in the dining room is a 20 Amp according to my neighbor

scsinet

Whatever you do, don't simply change a 15amp breaker for a 20. The wiring in the walls isn't rated to handle 20a, so you'd be creating a dangerous situation.
Remember the "West VirginiA formula." Watts = Volts * Amps. Ergo, Amps = Watts / Volts.
So first, let's convert spanko's information to watts so we can add things easily.
Originally Posted by Spanko
Mag 12 amps = 0.92 = 0.92 * 120 = 110w

Mag 18 amps = 1.2 = 1.2 * 120 = 144w

Mag 24 amps = 2.2 = 2.2 * 120 = 264w

You've got 750w of lights, but that's lamp watts. The ballasts add about 20% of waste, so 750*1.20 = 900w.
You've also got 48w worth of powerheads, and a mag 3.5. I don't have data on this one, so let's just say 80w of power, just to guestimate.
Lighting: 900w
Mag 18: 144w
Mag 12: 110w
Mag 3: 80w
Powerheads: 48w.
TotaL 1,282w
Divide by the voltage to get your amperage: 1282 / 120 = 10.68 amps.
Your chiller's nameplate is 6 amps, but most things don't actually draw what their nameplate says, so it may be more like 4-5 amps, so technically you may be under the 15a rating, but JUST BARELY.
The problem however is the surge of current that takes place when a compressor starts up. Breakers are rated to handle this, but because you are so close, I'd be worried about the breaker tripping and knocking your whole tank out.
Also keep in mind that there are probably other receptacles in the room that are sharing that circuit, which also add to the draw.
So, in this situation, if it were me, I'd have a separate 15 amp circuit installed to handle your chiller, and also place a couple of your pumps on that, to provide more safety, and more redundancy in case something trips a breaker or GFI.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3177510
So, in this situation, if it were me, I'd have a separate 15 amp circuit installed to handle your chiller, and also place a couple of your pumps on that, to provide more safety, and more redundancy in case something trips a breaker or GFI.
Any guess how expensive that would be Dave? Does it depend how far the room is from the circuit breaker at all?
I am basically considering doing the chiller so we don't have to keep the house at 75 all Summer, but if the cost of doing all this is getting too much, perhaps it's not worth it.

scsinet

Yeah a lot of the cost is going to vary... I'm not sure it'll vary so much as far as the distance goes... but rather the difficulty of the run.
If the breaker panel is in an unfinished basement and the tank is on the first floor, it shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks because you can easily run the wire to right under the tank, then just punch up through the wall and set a box, but if you have to run through finished walls, it may be more involved.
Materials wise you aren't looking at a lot of money... probably less than $75. If you can handle running the wire and aren't afraid to tackle it, it may be something you can do yourself, or get someone you know that has done before to help you, so you are only looking at $75 plus maybe $25 worth of beer. You could also run the wire yourself, and hire an electrician to do the connections at each end if you want to reduce costs, but also not have to work with anything that makes you uncomfortable.
When looking at justification, the redundancy aspect is beneficial in other ways... as I said, when one breaker runs a whole tank--- especially one this size with a significant livestock investment at stake --- it may be worth it for no other reason than to help protect yourself from a single breaker trip taking out your whole tank. Same goes for the chiller... you're buying yourself more protection... if your home AC goes out, you've got nothing to keep your tank cool.

mastertech

Originally Posted by mastertech
http:///forum/post/3177501
it may be as simple as changing the circuit breaker to a 20 amper!
but you should contact an electrician for that.

Originally Posted by T316

http:///forum/post/3177512
Negative....Do not do this
an electritian is capable of determining the wire size, overall load and local electrical code regulation that may alow this. i did not say DO IT, i said it "may be as simple" and again you would need to contact an electrician.

biggedraws

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3177509
Thanks for the help.
I will see what my options are....I guess the circuit right next to it in the dining room is a 20 Amp according to my neighbor

If your dining room is just on the other side of your fish tank have your neighbor run you a wire from the closest plug on that 20 amp circuit into the room your tank is in and cut a new plug in :) but ya dont simply change the 15 amp breaker to a 20 unless the wire is 12 awg if its 14 awg its only rated for 15 amps

t316

Originally Posted by mastertech
http:///forum/post/3177523
an electritian is capable of determining the wire size, overall load and local electrical code regulation that may alow this. i did not say DO IT, i said it "may be as simple" and again you would need to contact an electrician.
(boy o boy some people just need drama)
lmao...

sparky101

I'm an electrician in nebraska and my two cents would be this.
It seems biggedraws has the easiest/cheapest way to do it. Probably cost less than $100 to pay a professional electrician to come and verify that your dining room is indeed on a 20A cir. and add another outlet on the opposite wall for the chiller.
Also make sure your outlets are grounded, (just cause they have a ground hole on the outlet doesn't mean they have a ground!)
If they arent I would recommend installing a GFCI, especially since your dealing with water. The GFCI will trip faster and is more sensitive to smaller amounts of arking and shorting than a breaker is.
Hope all goes well for ya. I'd hate for you to overload a circut while your away from home, man that would suck!