How many Angelfish

scotts2002

Are Angelfish like Tangs?
Can you have more than two large Angelfish in a 140 gallon tank with the aggression being spread out among the fish?
Also what about having one large Angel with a pygmy angel?

ithorian_r

I would not advise putting two large angels together in a 140g tank. I have read where you can sometimes keep two angels together within the same genus (pomacanthus for example) but an extremely large tank is needed. But this is just what ive read. I think you would be fine putting a large angel with a dwarf in a 140g. Im sure there are other people on this website who have done it before! just my 2cents....

carshark

I wouldnt think a dwarf and a large would be bad. The pigmy is pretty docile, i dont think you would run a risk any less than a large angel going after anything else in the tank. If the large is going to go after a fish, it could be anyone...but I have never done it before, but I cant imagine it would be a problem in a tank that size.....
However I would not put two large angels, or two dwarf angels together....thats a no no!
and angels can be more aggressive than tangs depending on species... If I were to put up a match between a Sohal Tang vs Emporer Angel, the sohal would absolutely whoop the Emporer, but at the same token putting a Blue regal vs Emporer, the emporer would definitely supercede the regal...just depends on what you want to put in there..

jon321

Ive heard that you can keep angelfish from DIFFERENT genus togther that also have as different a pattern as possible. For example: queen (Holacanthus) and french (Pomacanthus) or flame (Centropyge) and goldflake (Apolemichthys).
Jon

ithorian_r

hey jon, u are right. its different genus. its been awhile since i had read that and i went and double checked it and it is possible to keep large angels of a different genus. so yeah disregard what i said about keeping the same genus!

konrade

I saw two dwarfs in my lfs that were in like a 20 gallon and they got along great. Didn't even seem like they noticed eachother.

lion_crazz

I would not recommend mixing two large angels at all in a 140. A 140 is big enough for one large angel, not two.
Also, speaking out of experience, what happens at an lfs and a home aquarium are two different things. There is little to no territory to fight over at an lfs. Fish are forced to get along usually. All of the fish are pretty much equally as stressed at an lfs, whereas in the home aquarium, they are given space to calm down a bit and they don't have everyone looking at them with nowhere to hide.

angelsrock

Originally Posted by ScottS2002
Are Angelfish like Tangs?
Can you have more than two large Angelfish in a 140 gallon tank with the aggression being spread out among the fish?
Also what about having one large Angel with a pygmy angel?
right now i have my queen angel in with a cherub aka pygmy atlantic angel and a powder brown tang. they all get along fine and have never had a fight except when i first introduced them to eachother. they didn't even touch just a little chasing goin on. it is true that different genus's can be put together as long as you got the space. a 140 would be big enough for a large angel and a pygmy angel. i'd say go for that. as far as 2 large angels not enough space, but would be ok if you had 2 that were small enough could last for a year or 2 just different genus's like i said.