How many clowns?

tigershark

I just got my 60 Gal tank up last weekend, it has since cycled and I added 3 false percs last nite. They are all very small, maybe an inch in length but it seems that one doesnt like another one very much. One is a little aggressive. Could I add another 1 or 2 clowns to make it more of a school of them and would the aggressive one stop picking on the others if there were more around? Or is that usually not successful?

saltyrich

You could, but you are in danger of having a tank with nothing in it but percs. If that is what you want, you could add a couple more.

slick

How did your tank cycle in just a week? Also adding 3 fish all at once is not a good idea.

saltyrich

Great point slick. Sorry I missed that. There are ways to quick cycle a tank, but a week is a little fast IMO also. It may be in your best interest to take some of those percs back. When adding fish to a new tank, it is important to do it slowly so that your system can adjust to the bioload increases. In the beginning, I add one fish per month in order for the tank to adjust.

tigershark

Now that I think about it, maybe I should have thrown some shrimp in the tank and let it cycle that way. But I ordered 45 LBS of LR 1.5 weeks before I setup my tank, and let it cure in a bucket for that time. Then I moved into my house last weekend and during the move my LR sat our for a few hours and had a little bit of die off. I put it in the tank, watched the ammonia go up then to 0, Nitrites to 0, and Nitrates to about 5ppm. I believe there is a lot of bacteria left on my LR and hopefully it will be enough to handle the fish. I will check all my levels when I get home in 2 hours. If I see them get too high, I will do a partial water change. I also have 20LBS of the packaged LS that I am going to add to help boost up the bacteria level in my tank. So I think things should be ok with the water and I'll wait on getting more fish for a couple weeks until my tank adjusts. Thanks for the responses!