How many fish can I have?

thamobster

Hey, I have a 50 gallon tank. Its in its last week of cycling with the LR. I recently purchased a QT and am getting ready to set that up so I can finally buy some fish! The one question I do have is how many fish can I QT at the same time? The QT tank is 20 gallons. Also how many fish would I be able to house in the 50 gallon w/o them interfering with each other and being to aggressive? I have a couple of fish on mind that I would like to have, and those are:
Percula clown
Maroon clown (what are the chances of the percula and maroon getting along?)
Yellow Tang
Psychodelic Mandarin
Panther Grouper
Green Mandarin Dragonet
I have some turbo snails in the tank now, I am going to be getting some blue legged hermits and cleaner shrimp. Can all of these fish live together or not? Thanks for everyones advice!!

fishman77

well ok let me start by saying congratulations
on the cycle
now for the answers.
1)you really dont have to QT fish but it is the best way IMO)i dont know much about QT's so ask in the other forums what to put in it....make sure your levels are perfect to.
2)the percula and maroon have no chance of getting along unless you plan on haveing like an 800 gallon tank
3)the mandarins i would deffinately wait about a year and a half for because you need a decent amount of pods in your tank.DO NOT LET YOUR FISH STORE TALK YOU INTO GETTING ONE!
4)the yellow tang i wouldnt reccomend until your tank is very well established because there ich magnets if there stressed and even so if you put the tang in the 50 it might be stressed over how small the tank is.
5)the panther grouper i dont think is reef safe and might eat shrimp but i dont know and even so the panther will get to big for your tank and also it is a very aggresive fish and might eat the clown or other smaller fish.
6)i also would not reccomend getting the blue leg hermits because theyll kill snails for there shells.either get scarlet hermits or get these other kind but im not sure what there called.also get a bigger clean up crew because youre going to need it.get some nassarius snails,astrea snails,margarita snails,an emerald crab or 2.
for fish i would say maybe buying a mated pair of clowns a firefish or a sixline wrasse not both,a goby or blenny or both.a phsudo would go but there kind of nasty.with the 50 gallon you are limited to few fish.
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST.....ONLY GET MAYBE ONE OR 2 FISH WHEN YOU BUY FOR THE FIRST TIME AND SLOWLY GET MORE....IF YOU OVERSTOCK AND PUT TO MUCH BIOLOAD ON YOU TANK ALL AT ONCE ITS GOING TO BE A DISASTER.THE KEY WORD IS "PATIENCE"
ALSO IS THIS GOING TO BE A REEF?
OH YEA,IF YOU WANTED TO GET A MATED PAIR OF CLOWNS FIRST THAT WOULD BE OK BECAUSE THERE PRETTY EASY
GOOD LUCK,HOPE YOU LISTEN
:) :)

viper_930

I wouldn't recommend mixing a percula and maroon, but occasionally they will get along. I'd say don't get the yellow tang or grouper because they need bigger tanks IMO.
And I also would advise against getting the mandarins because they only eat pods, and can completely deplete a tank's pod population in no time. If you have 100+ lbs. of LR and the tank has a thriving pod population, then 1 mandarin would be ok, and maybe a second a few weeks later (making sure the pods are still thriving).

smbuddy46

i've had a maroon in my 27 gal for about 3 weeks, he's very shy, just put a clarkii in there to see if they would get along they are doing fine, the clarkii is about twice his size and like i said he's very shy, stays up in one corner of the tank all the time except when it's feeding time. i think it just depends on their personallity