How many fish can I keep in a reef tank

jimreemts

I am new to saltwater, I do know in fresh water I can keep 1 inch of fish in 1 gallon of water. Is there such an equation for reef tanks? I would like to keep a healthy reef tank with fish but am concerned with a bioload.

brianokc

The 1" rule per gallon is totall crap. I mean think about it would you put a 10" Oscar in a 10 gallon tank? Or a couple 10 feet long sharks in a 250 gallon? Its a stupid rule fish stores came up with to sell more fish!

jimreemts

My tank is 100 gallon. I want a heathly balance of coral and fish. Is there a simple answer to this question for how mant fish I can keep?

grips

There really isn't a simple answer. It depends on the species of fish, how well your filtration system works, how often you do water changes, etc.. There are just too many factors to come to a definitive answer.
Do some research to find out how many fish other people are keeping in their 100 gallon tanks. Or just add your fish very slow; watch the fish and your filtration system. Go with your gut.... Most people know when they've reached the limit. It's usually an impulse buy that gets you. They are hard to resist when you see that beautiful healthy fish smiling at you from behind the glass box saying "take me home! I'm gonna impress everyone that looks into your tank. They're all gonna love me." :happyfish

grips

HA HA! yeah, that's been a problem for me too. There are just too many varieties of fish out there to choose from. I want one of each.

Put in a large sump and a big refugium. This will increase your water volume and filtration capabilities.
Buy the nicest, biggest protein skimmer you can afford and make sure you have more Live rock than you need. Doing these two things will increase your filtration and in turn allow you to have a larger bio load (more fish).
Other than that, yup, you could always upgrade to a bigger tank. How about 250 next time? And then 500 after that? AHHHH!!! This addiction is taking over my mind!!! :scared:

gen1dustin

Originally Posted by grips
There really isn't a simple answer. It depends on the species of fish, how well your filtration system works, how often you do water changes, etc.. There are just too many factors to come to a definitive answer.
Do some research to find out how many fish other people are keeping in their 100 gallon tanks. Or just add your fish very slow; watch the fish and your filtration system. Go with your gut.... Most people know when they've reached the limit. It's usually an impulse buy that gets you. They are hard to resist when you see that beautiful healthy fish smiling at you from behind the glass box saying "take me home! I'm gonna impress everyone that looks into your tank. They're all gonna love me." :happyfish
Well said. :cheer:

jam1e

Originally Posted by fish-man-t
remember 1.5 lbs of lr per gl :)

there's an equation that you can use .. that's what I've used in all my tanks and I think pretty much everyone on this site uses 1 - 2 lbs/gallon .. get somewhere in there ... I would say for you anywhere to 125 lbs to 175 lbs depending on if you like rock or open space