How many fish in a 29 gallon?

Musiclover6170

I just started a 29 gallon aquarium recently. I am trying to plan what I would eventually like to do with it. I would like to eventually make a zoa garden on at least one of my live rocks. I also have one green aquapora frag, one purple mushroom, two green star polyps, and one pulsing Xenia. Right now as far as fish and clean up crew I have a couple of hermit crabs, a couple of small snails, two emerald crabs, two turbo snails, one snowflake clownfish, and one transparent cave goby. I was thinking that I would like to add a yellow clown goby, a green mandarin( yes, I have a refugium with pods in it for the mandarin and I realize it will still be a while before I can add him) and I was hoping for another transparent cave goby. I have read though that you should not keep two of the same species of goby together though because they will fight each other. Does anyone know if this is true with transparent cave gobies? And if they could both cohabit the same area would those five fish be too many for the tank?

lmforbis

According to Live Aquaria the transparent cave gobies will be aggressive towards each other in a small tank. In my mind 29 gal. is a small tank. Might depend on if they are the same sex or not. I have two Tangaroa gobies in my 40 who get along fine but I purchased them as a bonded pair.
If you get a mandarin that will eat prepared food you will have a better chance. even with a fuge they may quickly decimate the pod population in a small tank. Good that you realize they need a mature tank.
Clown goby would be a very good choice. You could maybe get a royal gramma or an orchid dottie back. They are both small but very colorful fish that work well in small tanks.