How many fish sould I put in a 55 gallon Tank?

gonephishing

How many fish should I put in a 55 gallon tank and not overload it. One more thing, Do any of you guys buy fish from this site or any other online fish store? If so,have you had any problems with shipping or the fish staying alive after you put them in tank?

jumpfrog

First welcome to the board.
Yes, I've bought fish from here and they arrived in excellent shape. Inverts too. All still alive. They get my vote as an excellent source of animals.
As for number of fish in a 55?
First some questions?
What type of tank: Reef, FOWLR, community, aggressive?
What kind of filtration: sump, LR only, hang-on?
How much LR?
All this will help determine what your tank can safely handle?

cboyfan2020

you also need to look at what fish(kind, size,etc) you want to put in there. Some fish produce a higher bioload then others.

S

sebae0

ditto that reply, only quality stuff from swf.com with my purchases from here. sometimes i think its better than lfs.

S

sinner's girl

I bought inverts from here dec 2001, there was misconmunication but swf handled it well, and in the end we were happy. By the way, I ordered a serpent star and brittle star, both are still alive today (the serpent is heathly and active). The shrimp that didn't get eatten, lived for a year and a half...
I've never ordered fish online, I like to pick mine out...it makes them more mine to me.
have fun adding fish, remember to take your time.

ouchthathu

Do any of you guys buy fish from this site or any other online fish store?
All of my critters so far have come from here and I would recommend them any day. I've added 4 clowns, 1 royal gramma, 1 firefish goby, 1 lawnmower blenny, 2 yellow tail damsels (recently evicted from the tank for fighting), a whole slew of crabs and snails and coral banded shrimp, monkey shrimp, serpent star, tigertail cucumber, yellow cucumber and a couple of corals. Everything arrived in perfect shape and I couldn't have been happier.
So far they are the cheapest on the internet and no local fish store around my area can even come close to competing with them.
As far as the load on the 55gal... would like to know that myself... all of the above are residing quite happily in my 55gal but I have no clue where the limit may be.

I was hoping to get some good feedback on ordering fish from this site, which thank you everyone so far so good, do you think that I would have the same good luck shipping to Alaska? Generally for Alaska what others can get overnight, they only promise 2-day air unless its different for live passengers? Does anyone know?