How many have NEMO TANKS!

spearfish

I have a nemo tank, which i just set up with the help of my local LFS. He is very knowledgable and has given me lots of advise along with others here on this board.
Who else has a NEMO TANK and loves nemo and cant wait for the DVD to come out.
I am thinking about setting up a nano tank now in my living room featuring a couple of nemos and a bubble tip anenome and some coral.
Let me know who else is nemo crazy:eek: :eek: :eek:

Nemo tanks are ok provided people know what they are getting into. Anenomes require pristine conditions and have extremely high lighting needs. Simply put anything other than MetalHalide won`t work for most anenomes. What makes it worse is LFS are telling people yeah it`s ok get several nemos and anenomes and cram them into a 20 gallon. Research the hell out of these creatures because if you don`t it will die very quickly.

dacia

Spearfish, after reading all your other posts about what the guy at your LFS told you, you have been duped. He is not knowledgable at all when it comes to the life of marine fish and invertebrates. Ask questions on this board rather than deciding for yourself, telling us that you are not going to change, and expect us to be happy with you...we will gladly answer any and all questions, and your tank will have a much higher survival rate.
We were all newbies at one time, but arrogance in this hobby is intolerable. Fish and inverts' lives are at stake.
~*Karen*~

jp0379

Originally posted by Dacia
Spearfish, after reading all your other posts about what the guy at your LFS told you, you have been duped. He is not knowledgable at all when it comes to the life of marine fish and invertebrates. Ask questions on this board rather than deciding for yourself, telling us that you are not going to change, and expect us to be happy with you...we will gladly answer any and all questions, and your tank will have a much higher survival rate.
We were all newbies at one time, but arrogance in this hobby is intolerable. Fish and inverts' lives are at stake.
~*Karen*~

Agree with ya 100 percent, Karen! I also add, why do people ask advice when they are going to do what they want to anyway?

Originally posted by jp0379
Agree with ya 100 percent, Karen! I also add, why do people ask advice when they are going to do what they want to anyway?

My sentiments exactly.
I agree w/you and Dacia.

ryebread

This message is to the good people of the land:
I have already locked up several of Spearfish's threads due to the direction that they have been heading........please try to help him. It isn't very good to follow him around the board waiting to hand out negative critisisms......no matter how bad we want to. ;) Be kind.......be courteous.......and treat people in the manner that you would want to be treated. If he likes Nemo.....fine..........if you don't like Nemo........fine.......just don't worry about it too much as it stresses me out. :D Thanks.

marvida

My 29 gal is a Nemo tank. I didn't know it until my Granddaughters saw the movie & explained it to me. I have 2 clowns and a yellow tail blue damsel. The fish all have names now. Even the little yellow sponge hitchhiker has a name. I'll have to see the film some day!

phil1964

I have not seen the movie yet.
Don't ruin it for me!
I do have two percs that are pre-nemo and doing well except for one missing eye !
RyeBread how the h e ! ! do you take such great pics?
And don't stress out too much.
Keep on sharking.

polarpooch

Simply put anything other than MetalHalide won`t work for most anenomes.
Not true. My two anemones (bubble tip and long tentacle) are thriving on one Power Compact dual ballast and one regular actinic. (And PCs are a lot cheaper. ) I've had the LTA for a year. Sebaes are another story, though!
Spearfish, if you are going to do a nano reef tank, you WILL need to upgrade the lighting. Check out the nano board before you decide to add coral:)

quote:

[hr]
Simply put anything other than MetalHalide won`t work for most anenomes.

[hr]
The key word in this phrase is most, some do fine under compacts and VHO but the majority do not. Just trying to clarify what I meant.

polarpooch

Let me clarify, too. After consulting reefers who used both PCs and Metal Hallides (we have a reef group here that meets once a month), all of them said PCs provide plenty of light for both corals and anemones. I was advised by them to get PCs instead of MH, since MH are exhorbitantly expensive, hot burning and energy intense.
Disagree, if you like. But all my corals and my two anemones are thriving on PCs. In fact, the PCs are so strong, that even some of my high light corals can't take the full blast. My haitian, another very common anemone also thrived as well. In fact, the Haitian was doing fine when I just had two regular daylight ballasts running. (I just traded it in, because it was a menace.)
So maybe most anemones in the ocean you mean? Because three very common anemones in the trade do great under PCs.
I'll also point out at at the Shedd, the anemones are under low light in the Oceanarium, not MH. They include the beautiful Hawaiian Red Tipped anemone, and a sebae that you wouldn't believe.
Maybe carpets or some other kinds of anemones need MH, but I don't believe MOST need such specific lighting.
I may prove myself right or wrong, since I plan to add a carpet as my next reef tank creature.

The reason I believe the way I do is because I`ve seen long tentacles,bulbble tips, condys appear to do just fine for several years under pcs and then all of the sudden they start dieing. It is a sad slow death to such a great creature that lives for hundreds of years under the oceans. I`ll admit I tried anenomes under pcs, but they just didn`t open up like they should have. there is still alot we don`t know about anenomes and might never know. One year in a fish tank isn`t much compared to the many years they live in the wild.. just my 2 cents:cool:

polarpooch

I still disagree. That's about 4 cents between us. Seems like it should be more;)
So Spearfisher, what do you think?:)

aarone

um spearfish, honestly i think you are just trying to piss everyone off. or else you wouldnt have put in the poll that this doesnt belong here.
Do you really need advice? because you seem so intent on doing things your way.

my last 2 cents copied this from about fish, good luck with your anenomes if you have long term success then let you must be doing something right............
Macrodactyla doreensis, Long-tentacled anemone
These anemones have very long (up to 5-6 in.), smooth, thick tentacles sometimes with longitudinal stripes extending into the oral disk. The tentacles originate from a round flat oral disk, distinguishing it from the condylactis anemone. The foot of the base is almost always bright red or orange.
Good Points- They are hardy if kept under Metal Halide lights. Under lower light levels they seem to slowly waste away. They come in a variety of patterns and colors including purple. Accepted by Clarki clowns, tomato-type clowns and pink skunk clowns.
Bad Points- They must have bright lighting. They normally live with their base buried deep in the sand and sometimes have a difficult time finding an attachment spot in a reef-type tank.
Stichodactyla gigantea,
Giant carpet, colored carpet
These anemones have short pointed tentacles that seem to constantly vibrate. The tentacles are usually not very densely packed except near the edges of the disk. Specimens with blue, bright green, yellow, or white tipped tentacles can be found and at some times of the year are even common, but light brown is still the most common color. The oral disk often lies in a wave pattern if the anemone is on a flat surface.
Good Points-The colored ones are very pretty! A pink specimen is featured on the cover of Martin Moe's "Beginner to Breeder " book. They are accepted by most clownfish.
Bad Points- They can sting non-clownfish and may even eat other anemones. Giant carpets unlike their relative the saddle carpet seem to be very difficult to keep in captivity. The only report I had of a success died in a move after living for 10 years and the aquarist was unable to have any success with any giant carpets after that. It is possible that the first anemone may have been a saddle carpet rather than a giant carpet, but I haven't been able to find out for sure. One of the reasons for the difficulty in keeping the giant carpets may stem from the fact that most are collected from very shallow water, sometimes less than 3 feet deep. This leads me to believe that it may be difficult for the aquarist to give the anemone all the light that it is accustomed to in nature.