How many MH for 125 Tank

plenumt

I was think of going with a reef tank. I don't know how many MHs i should have for a 125 gallon glass tank. OR should i got with Compact Florecents n VHOS. Im always open to suggestions.:joy:

finland

What type of lighting you use all depends on what you want to keep in the tank. If you go with mh, you can put almost anything you wanted. I would go with one mh for every 2 feet of tank length. Also you might want to supplement with vho or pc actinics. 250watt 10k bulbs would be a good all around choice, unless you are going to do clams and sps. 250 would still work fine.

finland

I don't have a chiller,and I run 250watt mhs, and 4 96 pcs on my 135gal. I have 2 cooling fans installed in the hood. My temp is steady between 79- 81 degrees. During the summer, when the lights are on, I blow a fan at the front of the tank and leave the canopy door a little opened. You probably would be fine without a chiller as long as you don't live in a warm climate, and have extra fans on the hot days.

jon.316

VHO's will give you the best bang for your buck and looks the best IF you have a cabinet tho it doens't really matter too much.
you could probably ---- a 220 vho power compact for around 200-250...
gl

plenumt

Theres no limit to how high the will be. I wont care. As long as it looks good. Plus ty for the VHO info
:eek: :D :)

finland

Like I said before, what are you going to put in the tank? If it is going to be a reef, IMO, I would get the mhs w/ vho actinics. Otherwise you will be upgrading later.