How many of lbs of Live Rock for a 55g?

spanko

Should not be too much. Really depends on the size of the rock in relation to the weight. More porous rock will weigh less therfore you will get more volume. Less porous rock will weigh more per volume.

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3146692
HEY are there any good SW fish stores in OKC????
Sorry..I know it's off topic..LOL
I've have expierences with almost all of them in norman, okc, and edmond.
The ones I like are Wet Pets by Steve in Norman, just be careful buying coral from them because they had apitasia in the Frag Tank last I checked which was a couple of months ago. Reef Shop Warehouse is the one I go to the most.
Pet Vet clinic off of 15th is the only place I've seen that consistantly has unhealthy fish and corals besides *****.

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3146689
Should not be too much. Really depends on the size of the rock in relation to the weight. More porous rock will weigh less therfore you will get more volume. Less porous rock will weigh more per volume.
Ok thanks I don't think it's that porous and the pieces seem pretty big from the picture they show, but I want enough to make a wall in the back of the tnak so I think it should be good.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Sooner_Reefer
http:///forum/post/3146708
I've have expierences with almost all of them in norman, okc, and edmond.
The ones I like are Wet Pets by Steve in Norman, just be careful buying coral from them because they had apitasia in the Frag Tank last I checked which was a couple of months ago. Reef Shop Warehouse is the one I go to the most.
Pet Vet clinic off of 15th is the only place I've seen that consistantly has unhealthy fish and corals besides *****.
Thanks....I don't get to OKC often, my husband has family around Norman and there...so I figure if I went I'd like to actually see a fish store..LOL...

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3146710
Thanks....I don't get to OKC often, my husband has family around Norman and there...so I figure if I went I'd like to actually see a fish store..LOL...
Do you order everything offline? That has got to be expensive, though lfs prices on live rock are outrageous. Haven't seen liverock around here that is less than 8$/lb.

90lbs will be great, if you can arrange in a good way to maximize its position while creating caves and keeping current through it, you can always add more.
I believe more is better... Natural filtration

Another question should I get premium live rock or just get some cheap rock locally and add purple up? I have a picky mom
and I think it's the shape of the rock and algae on it that bugs her. She likes those colorful rocks with purple and other bright colors on it though
. If I find some rocks that are the right shape/size and amount, would just adding purple up to the cycle help with the right algae growth?

dedecv3

I just started up my first SW tank and it is a 55. I bought 35 lbs from a guy locally and it wasnt even close so I bought another 60 lbs and that gave me the perfect amount. I'd say 80-100 lbs is where you wanna be depending on the amount of pores in the rocks.

browniebuck

I have between 70-90 LBS in my 55...but it depends on what is going into the tank, really. If you are going for a peaceful community reef tank, you would want somewhere between 60-100lbs...if you want an aggressive tank (though, not a whole lot of aggressive fish that should be housed in a 55 long term), you wouldn't need as much as this would provide waste a lot of places to collect and cause you problems (especially if you don't keep up on tank maintenance).
The picture is what my tank looked like when I added my last piece of LR...things have changed since then...but this is what 70-90 lbs. will look like in a 55 (we have almost all premium rock, no base rock)...

xcali1985

The rocks will gain the coralline color over time, IMHO grab a few pieces that are covered in it, and the rest base rock, when they come rub the good pieces on the base rock and watch it start to grow over time. No since in paying all that money for something that will occur naturally.
Ive always been a fan of letting the tank develop itself. My LFS sells corals on nice size rocks for only a few dollars more than the 1" frags, i prefer the frags that way they grow into the tank and develop its look on itself.