How Many Of You Out There Have More Than One Type Of Goby In Your Tank?

rdhanley

I Currently Have In My 125 Gallon Tank.
As I Love Gobies
3 Pearly Jawfish
2 Diamond Gobies
2 Engineer Gobies
All My Fish Swirl Around The Middle Of The Tank Waiting For Feed When They Know It's About That Time.
I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS MANY TYPES OF GOBIES IN THIS SIZE TANK.
MY TWO DIAMONDS ARE 2 PEAS IN A POD. THEY SIFT RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER. FUN TO WATCH.

new2salt1

I had 2 til I didn't feed my elegance coral for 4 days. I wanted to cut down the feedings. So when my watchman goby decided to host the elegance...well, bad timing.
The little watchman's last hours:

N

nereef

the three pearly jawfish aren't gobies. they are from the family Opistognathidae. engineer "gobies" aren't gobies either. they are from the family Pholidichthyidae. the two diamond gobies, however, are true gobies. they are probably male and female specimens so they get along. did you buy them as a mated pair?

rdhanley

Originally Posted by NEreef
the three pearly jawfish aren't gobies. they are from the family Opistognathidae. engineer "gobies" aren't gobies either. they are from the family Pholidichthyidae. the two diamond gobies, however, are true gobies. they are probably male and female specimens so they get along. did you buy them as a mated pair?
no. the diamond gobies were bought from different spots entirely. one from online. one from local lfs.
saltwaterfish.com has the jawfish and engineer gobies listed under the goby section. so i assumed they were related to the goby family.

N

nereef

they probably evolved fairly recently from a similar ancestor, but they aren't in the Gobidae family. many are sold as gobies, so it isn't uncommon for someone to call them that. firefish are also sold as gobies.

ducky

I have a yellowheaded sleeper goby, it was part of a pair (purchased from separate tanks at the same LFS) but lost the other in when my tank leaked out. I also have a neon cleaner goby, engineer goby and two clown gobies. The only fish in my tank that ever picks a fight is my flame back angel. That one is just a nut and typically the aggression doesn't last for long. From the other posts I gather that the engineer is not a true goby and there was never any observed aggression with the engineer however when I introduced my lawnmower blenny there was some posturing initially with the yellowheaded sleeper goby but it didn't last.
I think that you were very lucky and your diamond gobies are now a mated pair.

rdhanley

yesterday, my big one was pretty plump on the bottom, now plumpness is gone.
i wonder if they are egg layers.