how many tangs in a 180?

natep206

im starting a 180 in a few monthes and am wondering how many tangs i can keep in it.
it will be a fowlr.
i want to keep
1 orange shoulder tang.
2 naso tangs
and how many more yellow ttangs?
thanks
nate

natep206

im asuming u mean 5 tangs total. not 5 more yellow tangs...
thanks! ive always heard fish in groups like to be in odd numbers onless its a pair so wouldnt 2 yellow tangs that werent a pair fight?
thanks
nate

hammerhed7

I dont know if you would want to go with 2 naso's, I wanted 2 in my 220 until I bought my first one and noticed this is a very large active fish, while she is not aggressive I don't know if I would add another, right now she is 8", and uses every bit of the tank space I have, the yellow's should be no problem.
best of luck

natep206

wow really?
1 orange shoulder
2 nasos
5 yellows???
thats 8 tangs? isnt that too much? i mean i was thinking 3 more yellows tops but 5?
thanks
nate

dogstar

5 yellows will never be a problem in a healthy 180, Ive done it myself. If you dont get full grown ones then they will never get over 6 inches.They grow slow. The Other tangs will be a problem if there will be one. The Yellows are grazers and will always be slowy grazing near the rocks and the Nasos will be more out in the open water cruesing. Allow them open swimming room and provide lots of open areas and caves in the rocks for the yellows. I understand the tang police and sometimes act like one myself but once you get into the 150 size or larger IMO they need to speak from experiance. I have 7 tangs ( 3 of them are Yellows ) now in a tank for 5 years and its all good.

natep206

wow cool.
so what would be the problem with the other tangs?
id only really want 3 yellows cause i want other fish besides tangs.
thanks
nate

dogstar

The Nasos do get large and very active swimmers and as they mature there could be some tail slaping going on due to space and they have ' double trouble ' when it comes to fighting among nasos....

natep206

well i would have a pair. 1 male and 1 female. would they still be agresuve? or docile towards eachother cause they were a pair? if they will still be aggressive then what do u suggest? no naso? 1 naso?
thanks
nate

psusocr1

dogstar i respect your opinion but i have 6 tangs in my 300 gallon and i wouldnt dare try to fit another one! im thinking of getting rid of two already because of space and i dont evan have that much rock so they have alot of open swimmming room

dogstar

Im not saying there will be a problem with them......Only if there is it would be bad. I have never kept Nasos and dont recall anyone keeping more than one long term. Hopefully someone can say that has or just keep researching, My main point was to let you know about the yellows. I dont think Tangs pair up for life or whatever so I dont think it would matter if the are male and female but not sure....

natep206

well i would get them small so if anything ever did happen then i qould have had them for a long time already and could just trade them back for smaller ones.
thanks alot for all the info on the yts tho i really appreciate it!
thanks
nate