how many?

salt one

ok, i am about to get a cleaner shrimp, can anyone tell me what there purpose is in a reef tank, do they clean or do they keep the fish clean? and i have alot of trouble finding them so when my LFS gets some in should i get more than one??? cause i have been looking for a month now....

mr . salty

They clean fish better than a cleaner wrasse.They stay alive,it's hard to clean when your dead. They also keep the tank clean. I would get 2or3,depending on tank size. STEVE

t_larz

Originally posted by SALT ONE:
ok, i am about to get a cleaner shrimp, can anyone tell me what there purpose is in a reef tank, do they clean or do they keep the fish clean? and i have alot of trouble finding them so when my LFS gets some in should i get more than one??? cause i have been looking for a month now....

Well check this out http://www.marineaquariums.com/i_inverts_index.html and click on shrimp but I know that they do run a little expensive around $20 is what my friend just got one for.

Cleaner Shrimp help keep your fish clean of parasites, so they are especially important in a reef tank where you can't use med. and is hard to get fish out with all the rock. I have had ick in the past, but while I had a cleaner shrimp, I had no problems with disease. He also kept his little "cleaning station" very clean, there was always a little patch around the plant that was always free of algae.

krazzydart

I would get 2-3 of them also 2-3 pepermint shrimp they do an excellent job cleaning up parisites and waste.... they have them here on this sight...