how much current is to much for Xenia

marcs4020

I just purchased some Xenia yesterday from the lfs and was wondering about the current that it should be kept in. From what I've read and from what the lfs told me was that the current should be pretty strong. Well my qustion is how strong should it be? Right now I have them about 8in from the powerhead and 4in down. Is this to much?
thanks a lot
Marcus

nightowl

Hey Marcus,
I brought some pulsating Xenia for my 90 gallon found that they move around until they find a place they like. I had it in my refugium but found it looks pretty in the display as well. I keep it trimmed back every few weeks. It is actually amazing how far they can move in a day or two. Just make sure the power head is not pointing directly at them and they will adjust as time goes on to what they like.
Hope that helps,
Henry

bigarn

From my experience they do best in low to medium flow ..... if they're bent over and not fully extended and open, it's to much flow. :D

wax32

If they are in too high a flow they won't be able to "pulse" which is the coolest thing about them.

bigarn

Originally Posted by Dogstar
My xenia does well everywhere. From high flow to no flow.
Is it "pulseing xenia" ? :D

dogstar

I dont mean blow it off the rock flow but this is bend it over flow and it does well, too well.

92protruck

hey Dogstar, my xenia looks exactly like yours....well almost exactly. Thanks for posting that pic (I was waiting for you to do that after the not in high flow post). I wanted to see what healthy xenia looks like.

dogstar

Hey Truck, did yours make it after all. Cool. Bet you dont have as much. Maybe soon. Haha. Hows the VHOs look?