How much is to much flow

djpom1

I have a large wet/dry filter on my 155 bow. I was told by a lfs that I need 2 2100 Rio pumps to run this thing. That is giving me a flow after the hieght and everything is figured in of about 1200gph. Now i keep hearing that I should only have about 600gph. Is this true, should I change or cut back the flow of my pumps? A;so how much can you cut back the flow on a rio pump without hurting the pump. I was thinking of using a ball valve. Is this the right thing to do. Any advice would be great.
Thanks, Dennis

broomer5

<a href="http://www.amiracle.com/filters.htm#pro-linespecs" target="_blank">Amiracle</a>
Do you have the Pro Line PL4000 ?
I don't see the PL400 on their site.
Is this an older model ?

nm reef

Most information suggests 8-10 times water volume for current........on my 55 reef I turn the water over about 10 times per hour.
My personal opinion is the more current the better.....just not enough to knock stuff around . :cool:

djpom1

Yes i have a pro-line 400. No this is not an older model. It is on there web site but not much is said about it because it is for 400 + gallon aquariums. I wanted a good and large filter,

guppie

The more water turn over the better, I would have gone with a different pump, because rio sometimes won't start backup after they are shut down, I know I have a 2100 running my skimmer, and when it stops for good I will change it for a mag or some other brand. Just keep a eye on them . Good Luck