how much lighting?

bubbagump

i have a 30 gallon long that is about half way through cycling and i have 38 lbs of live rock and a sand bed. i would like to keep an anenomie and some soft corals and maybe some low light hard corals. how much lighting would i need? i dont have a lot of dough because i am only 13 and dont have a good to buy the most expensive out there so. i was thinking about some PC's. i was thinking about getting a 36 inch long smartlight hood with a 96 watt bulb. how much more lighting would i need? or would it be better to get a good vho system or metal halides? what about a regular flourescent tube light and a 175 wat metal halide?

krusk

I would not keeping an anemone if I was you
Intense lighting is required to keep an anemone, most importantly seen you are stil young and do not make alot of money. Intense lighting mostly are coming from Metal Halide and they're quite expensive.
Coral such as Xenia, Mushroom, Toadtools do not require much lighting.
You can keep them with a few regular fluorescent bulbs. VHO or PC are nice to have.
How long is the 30G long? 36"

mrmaroon

If your tank is 30 long I am guessing it is not very deep. Im this case I would go with power compacts. Anemones require a lot of light and are hard to keep. you could start with yellow polyps, mushrooms, amd maybe star polyps. 96 watts in your tank would probably be fine for these.

tankstolove

I kept a 10 gal reef when I was 13 too. Use power Compacts, they will supply plenty of light to keep your choices. You could use vho's too, I've seen many small successful reefs kept with them. I recommend pc's for you. Maybe you'll grow up to be a biologist like me, your very well on your way, enjoy.

Just by looking at prices:
1 PC kit - 96 watt - 59 dollars (no bulb)
1 PC bulb - 5500K - 39 dollars
Total: 98,00
3 watts per gallon
1 - 175watt retro kit - includes ballast, wiring, socket, and 5500K bulb.
Total: 75 dollars
5.8 watts per gallon
Hope this helps

jim27

Originally posted by steamboat1569:
<strong>Just by looking at prices:
1 PC kit - 96 watt - 59 dollars (no bulb)
1 PC bulb - 5500K - 39 dollars
Total: 98,00
3 watts per gallon
1 - 175watt retro kit - includes ballast, wiring, socket, and 5500K bulb.
Total: 75 dollars
5.8 watts per gallon
Hope this helps</strong><hr></blockquote>
Are you talking about the aquaticlight.com retro kits? They come with a 4300k(which isn't a good choice for a reef) not 5500k. The actual price for the kit with a 5500k bulb is $112.

Ya know what jim27. You are exactly right. I admit that I am wrong. I purchased mine a year ago and here is what happened: Back then they had the 5500K bulb with the 75 dollar package, so I ordered it. I recieved the ballast, socket, and everything but my 12000K bulb. I called them rather upset. They said don't worry, we'll make it right. Two days later I recive the bulb, but looky there, they not only sent me a 12000K bulb, but also a 5500K bulb. It had a note saying they were sorry for the mix up, hope this makes up for it.
I am a repeat customer.
But gee, 98 dollars for 3 watts per gallon, really cant keep everything I want.
But hey, if I spend 14 dollars more, I can keep just about anything I want in a tank.
I think I will stick with the metal halides.

justinx

How are those kits from Aquatic Lighting Systems, are they worth while purchases? They seem so cheap!!

I would yes get them again.
This is getting old. How about the reason you would not use it, and back it up.
Sorry to sound like this, but i have seen a lot of people say things like this, with no explaination.
This ballast delivers 175 watts of power. This is what ballasts do. It is pulse start, so it is easier on the bulb. Sure, some ballasts may be better in the long run for twice the price, but according to my meter, it still is delivering more than 175 watts of power.
Is there something different about other 175 watts. Last time I looked, 175 watts, is 175 watts.